Sign in to follow this  

I spent some time on a Rekluse equipped bike

And it rocks! I went out yesterday for a nice technical trail ride with a few buds. One of the guys was on an '05 YZ250 with a Rekluse. We swapped bikes for last section of the ride back to the truck. This was on a trail that is the definiton of technical: Narrow (about a foot wide in most places), clinging to the side of a steep canyon wall, rocky, rooty, multiple ultra-tight steep switchbacks, etc... I didn't check the mileage or anything, but it was probably at least a good 5 or 6 miles of seriously challenging trail that I spent on the YZ.

Obviously, a YZ has a huge weight advantage over my DRZ (in addition to many other traits that naturally make it a more dirt worthy mount) but the autoclutch was really what stuck in my mind as what made the bike so awesome.

It took me a little while to get used to not pulling the clutch, but once I did, it was pure sweetness. The steep rocky switchbacks were where it really shined. I can make it through these sections just fine on my Zook, but it does a require a careful balance of throttle and clutch. Enough so that a considerable amount of your attention is focused on simply maintaining forward motion. Not so with the Rekluse. You very quickly learn to not even worry about stalling the motor, because it just ain't gonna' happen. Do you find yourself to be a gear too high for a particular spot? No worries. Just twist the gas and the bike chugs right along, or stab down on the shifter and you're right back in the meat of the powerband.

Very impressive for sure. I gotta' get one for my DRZ now. It won't be real soon since I just went through a pretty good sized chunk of change with the pipe, FCR, etc... But it is next on my list. I can't wait to try it on my own bike.

For what it's worth, I'm a pretty decent technical rider already. It's not like I "need" this autoclutch deal to be able to go the places I go, it's just that it makes riding the tight stuff so much easier that I can't see not having one. And no, I'm not connected to Rekluse in any way, shape, or form. I'm just some regular Joe Blow that was pretty damned impressed with my experience riding a bike equipped with an autoclutch and figured that I'd pass it along.

Feels like cheating to me. I wonder how many of the people I race against in the hare scrambles are using these things?

I love my rekluse for sure :banghead: It is even better with the left hand rear brake :banghead:🤣

They do use them for moto-x I hear. You can set the stall speed higher and use a softer hit verses the trail setting.

I went out yesterday for a nice technical trail ride with a few buds. One of the guys was on an '05 YZ250 with a Rekluse. We swapped bikes for last section of the ride back to the truck. This was on a trail that is the definiton of technical: Narrow (about a foot wide in most places), clinging to the side of a steep canyon wall, rocky, rooty, multiple ultra-tight steep switchbacks, etc.

How did your buddy make out on your DRZ?

KRac

2000 DRZ-400

I just can't see why everyone likes an auto clutch....

I had a small z250 quadrunner..... it had an auto clutch and i thought it sucked... i always wanted a clutch when riding this thing...

How did your buddy make out on your DRZ?
Actually, he really liked it, especially the power delivery. The weight, and its effect on the bike when trying to go fast through rough terrain, was the only thing that drew any kind of negative comment. We all know about that already anyway. They're heavy bikes, but a good bike nonetheless.