Sign in to follow this  

Cam Timing Mark Question - Weird ?!?!

Working on getting an '03 WR running that I picked up off the guy who "sucked dirt" into his motor awhile back. I know there may be some issues, but am just working on getting it running first.

Tonight, checked the carb and timing. The cams were pretty well off of where they were supposed to be in conjunction with the timing mark. I re-timed it to proper specs with the timing mark lined up in the sight window. I lined up the mark that was just to the right of the |-| looking mark on the crank (hope that makes sence). Once everything was bolted down, I cycled the crank through very slowely, and at about a full revolution, it seems the pistion was resting on the valve(s). I pulled the cams back off, and actually stuck a clothes hanged down the plug hole to get an idea as to where T.D.C was at. When the piston was coming up, and at it's highest mark, the timing mark was no were to be seen in the sight window. Further more, when the timing mark was visible and lined up, the piston was pretty well down at the bottom of the stroke. This makes no sence to me, and I really have no base line to go by. Before I tore into the motor, it would cycle through, but as stated, the cams were not lined up when the timing mark was aligned.

Is it possible for the timing mark to not be aligned right with T.D.C??? Just doesn't seem possible to me, but then again I've never had a motor torn down that far..................

Really could use some help here.....maybe I'm missing something fairly obvious.

Thanks!

Dodger

It sounds like a classic sheared woodruff key on the flywheel. Pull the flywheel off and check it. This will also prevent the bike from running, since the ignition is triggered by the flywheel. You can find TDC with your wire probe and make a temporary mark on the flywheel so you can reset the cam timing back to where it belongs for safety's sake.

It sounds like a classic sheared woodruff key on the flywheel. Pull the flywheel off and check it. This will also prevent the bike from running, since the ignition is triggered by the flywheel. You can find TDC with your wire probe and make a temporary mark on the flywheel so you can reset the cam timing back to where it belongs for safety's sake.

Thanks Gray............I'm looking all over the thumperfaq page, and can't seem to locate the link with the step by step fix..........could someone throw me a bone here and post me a link?? Please?!!!

Thanks guys........

Dodger

Find the service manuals at ThumperFAQ if you don't have one. You will need a flywheel puller, which will either be a special order item or get a dealer to pull it for you, since that one pretty much fits only the late WR. But access to it is easy; just pull the left crankcase cover and it's right there. Bear in mind, there's oil in there.

Once the flywheel's off, dig out the pieces of the bad key and carefully evaluate and repair any damage done to the crank and flywheel tapers. They need to be in as good condition as possible to hold well.

Find the service manuals at ThumperFAQ if you don't have one. You will need a flywheel puller, which will either be a special order item or get a dealer to pull it for you, since that one pretty much fits only the late WR. But access to it is easy; just pull the left crankcase cover and it's right there. Bear in mind, there's oil in there.

Once the flywheel's off, dig out the pieces of the bad key and carefully evaluate and repair any damage done to the crank and flywheel tapers. They need to be in as good condition as possible to hold well.

So Gray, what's utimately my best bet here. Install a new woodruff key, or (not that I need to ask) upgrade the whole thing to the '04 stuff?? Were would I go about getting a list of all things needed to do the upgrade if I choose to go that route??

Dodger

I'm sorry, you lost me. What about an '04 is an upgrade over the '03?

Sorry, I think I was confused with the 450's upgrading to '04 starters. Going to have a buddy at a shop pull the fly wheel and see what's up.

Thanks for the help man!

The starters and the whole clutch/drive assembly does have different part numbers, but I'm not sure of how much better the '04 is, how much has to be changed, or whether it's worth it.