Sign in to follow this  

06' YZ250F ride assesment

I've had several requests from other members to share an unbiased ride report on this scoot.

I'll lay the groundwork - I'm not an editor by any means, so pardon the grammatical inaccuracies. I have been riding for 18 years and can best be described as a tired out pro - relegated to 'local speed' the past few years. I'm 35, 6'4", 200 lbs. I have better than average mechanic skills. So however you compare, take this for what it's worth. Also, I believe a bike should be broken-in how you're going to ride it - hard as hell. I spent 15 minutes of riding and cooling to seat the rings and off I went - no holding back (this is not a recommendation, just an indication of how I rode when coming to the conclusion below):

Track: Riverfront, Marysville Ca. Slippery mud when wet, intermediate to hardpack when it dries out.

It would be easiest for me to tell you right off the bat what this bike does NOT like; 1. Tight turns that are unusually slippery. 2. Knee braces. There you have it.

It seems, for now, the 06' would be better guided around the wet, sloppy mud turns. At least until the suspension has had a chance to work itself in and the chassis has been given enough time to settle from it's rigid state. The only time I came close to putting the bike on the ground was when I landed into a turn with a section of rediculously slippery mud - the kind you find in practice prior to the 1st motos. I was going at a good click and jumped into the turn, bike already changing direction. Under acceleration, the bike nearly did a helicopter and sent me into a wicked two-wheel slide. The bike is forgiving - VERY forgiving, and allowed me to save it just prior to me wetting my pants. Assesment: Obviously the wrong tire for the conditions and rider error - I should have let the bike brake in a little before pushing it in terrible conditions.

If you have knee braces, they will scratch the upper part of the radiator shrouds. The decals are thicker and of much better quality than previous years. They even have a thick, rough texture to them, but if you have knee braces, they won't last.

That's about all the negative I could muster up. I'm not picky - unless the handling is flawed. This bike is not flawed.

If you like surfing, you'll feel at home on the 06'. It is flat. The seat does not cradle you at all. This will likely benefit a lot of rider's, but it took me a few laps to get used to. At 6'4", I felt like I was riding on an 80cc bike while getting from my truck to the track. The pegs seemed a little high on the frame. Once you get aggressive, you learn exactly why it's this way. The feeling is that you definitely control this machine - not the other way around. I took jumps right after a 90 degree corner, completely out of control and the ergonomics, controls and general feel of this bike allowed me to effortlessly guide it where I wanted, safely. It made getting through traffic absolutely fun. Plus, I think this bike begs for you to ride it hard because of the seating situation. It's not a lazy feel; like sitting 'in' the seat. You sit 'on' it and tell the bitch where to go. This is not a vet bike in that regard.

Whoever said this bike doesn't turn in stock form is an idiot. Even with the questionable tire up front, I made turns at full speed. All kinds of turns: wide turns in loam. Sharp turns in ruts. railing turns. no berm turns. Whatever was there, it took with ease (sans the mud turns). My favorite was a left hand sweeping turn that was hardpack inside, loamy in the middle and had a rut on the outside. Pick your pleasure; passing lane ahead. I have to say I enjoyed the hardpack part the best. It just stuck very well while under full throttle.

I also don't agree with one review that complained about front brakes. I almost landed on my head while screwing off in the pits trying to do a stoppie. They're just the way I like them on the track - 'sure'. They may not put you into reverse when you pull the lever, but I like a little 'feel' to them anyway. I've crashed more from over-braking than anything else the past few years.

I did not feel any headshake. I was in 4th gear every lap on one front section of the track. There were no bad braking bumps like you get down south, though. I'm not a good judge of headshake for that very reason. I used to have a 91' CR250 that moved my bowels everytime I got into 3rd and 4th gear. This bike is like having a Scott's stabalizer in comparison. The overall handling is pretty sweet. There is no way you can confuse this for a 450; or even a YZ250 for that matter. It's skinny and handles changes in direction well. It also changes attitude almost as good as my YZ125. I can 'lift' it over jumps if I need. Hit the brake and the nose will drop altitude in surprizing fashion. Cool. That's what I like about this class.

Suspension on the 06' cannot be described. You have to experience it. Picture jumping into Pastrana's foam pit and you'll get the idea. I wondered if I was even going through the full stroke until I got back to the truck and observed that the fork slider was clean all the way to the cast aluminum valve housing. At my weight, I know I'm going to have to respring eventually, but I don't want to. I don't want to mess with the progressive feel. This bike loves landing on the front wheel. Awesome, period.

The engine is Yamaha good. It seems a little more powerful than last years and I had a newer 05' sitting next to it to compare with. It runs like a two-stroke, no surprize. My only disappointment was the very occasional leaning out that it did after a big jump. Jetting should help - plus the fact that I had almost run out of gas when that happened. Could just be that simple - time will tell. I will run this exhaust until I taco it. No reason in my opinion to change unless I need power in a different spot. It even looks good.

I may change the gearing a bit: 48 to a 50 tooth. This isn't because it's down on power. Third gear seemed to be a little short for my style. I am more comfortable riding a gear higher through rhythm sections and long jumps. 3rd would do it, but it was high in the RPM range on occasion. Again, the change would be to pull a different gear overall that I am more comfortable with. I could '2-stroke' it around all day in 3rd if needed.

There's no grab spot on this bike like the YZ250. You have to lift it at the rear fender to get it on the stand.

The oil window is at the bottom of the case, left side under the shift lever.

Things that I will change: Front tire - only because I think that was the biggest contributer to the Heli I did in the mud turn early on - it worked great everywhere else. I just prefer Maxxis tires for longevity and decent traction.

The bar bend - I prefer the Windham bend due to my height.

The clutch adjuster - still doesn't work as good as works connection and it's bulky ashell looking.

EDITED FOR THE SAKE OF A MALCONTENT: The clutch lever. NOT New and better this year and I'm used to the CR style from the W/C Perch.

The rear sprocket.

Chain - The stock one already stretched.

In a nutshell, there you have it. Take it for what it's worth. Different riders will like different things. I'm not brand loyal. I use Honda's in 2002 for Supercross. That was a CR250 and it destroyed my leg. The very next year I bought a CRF450 and loved it. The 06' Yammie is nothing like the other bikes I've ridden. If you have an 05 YZ250F now, you will not think this bike is related in anyway except perhaps for motor characteristics. bottom line is that I really like this bike. I have not smiled like this in several years and my wife thinks I'm an idiot. She is glad that I'm no longer asking her, 'what color do you like best, Red or Blue(yellow)? I hope you all have as much fun as I did waiting, picking up, and riding this bike.

PS. if you have bitching, direct it elsewhere. I missed dinner to write this :banghead:

really nice review. I was down to the Yami and the KTM, and finally went for the KTM (not here yet) for something different. I have an 04 yz250f..but it sounds like this thing is WAY dif!

good on ya

i have knee braces the thor cheap ones. do you think these will screw up the graphics? o and what did you mean by tight turns that are unusually slippery? like the front tire didnt get traction or what? o BTW thanks alot for the review.

Awesome review. I live in Yuba City, so I'll be riding at Riverfront all the time. I'll be getting mine in Jan. Keep us up to date as you get more rides in!

THANKS!

i have knee braces the thor cheap ones. do you think these will screw up the graphics? o and what did you mean by tight turns that are unusually slippery? like the front tire didnt get traction or what? o BTW thanks alot for the review.

My knee braces are CTI-2 and DonJoy. Both are troublesome, but the latter is the worst due to sharper hinges. Some of the brace makers have neoprene over the hinges and likely would not be as bad. BTW, I squeeze my bike hard.

Really wet mud is what I experperienced my trouble in. It only happened once.

I am going to E-street Wednesday and that track is 100% sand. Time to test out TWMX theory.

** Idog, see ya out there! **

I have CTi2's as well but I'll get use to it. Thanks again :banghead::banghead: .

Sorry, I forgot to explain my gearing thoughts originally - I edited original post to reflect. Thanks to everyone for the reponse. I hope the thread helped more than confused.

Confused, heck I more pumped than ever. A REAL world report like that :banghead: .

BTW being as I'm coming off a CRF450, does the rigidy of the frame feel the same or different. I think I said that right :banghead: .

Confused, heck I more pumped than ever. A REAL world report like that :banghead: .

BTW being as I'm coming off a CRF450, does the rigidy of the frame feel the same or different. I think I said that right :banghead: .

This is a tough question. I have to say, within the 3 hours that I rode the new YZ250F, it felt more rigid.

My generic answer is; Different bike, different feel.

Personal theory; the CRF450 is heavier than this bike in many ways like engine, mounts, components etc.. I believe the added weight in the 450 twin spar allowed it to give a little more. But that's based on simple physics and guesswork. It's just different. BUT, it is closer to a CRF now than it is to an 05' YZF.

I am starting to get a little annoyed... all this good news...and i am one waiting lists at 5 dealers right now... and nobody has any...what the crap.... :banghead:

EXCELLENT report!! Thank you for taking the time to type it up. VERY informative report. :banghead:

Downside of the well written report- You have me scratching my head whether to keep my 03 which is all set up for off road, upgrade to an almost new 05 & swap the off-road goodies, or dive in for an 06. 🤣

Thanks again! :banghead:

Nice report. Any hint of the fork issues the 05's have? You may need to use them a bit to know though. Oh, and thanks for the sight glass info, it's good to know they did that.

Better report than I could have written. Thanks for the valuable insight.