Sign in to follow this  

Question on where to get info and parts

I recently aquired an early model WR250... yep the pinger type.

Big question though.. Will I have to leave myself to the wolves (local stealership) for parts and info on the bike. I have searched google and ebay with very little info to be found. I am not sure of the exact year nor do I know how to decipher the code stamped in the top of the motor. It says "for off road closed course compition use only" on the steering head of the frame.

Sorry for being so vague on the details of the bike. I can post a few pictures of the beast if it will help. Been a long time sence I have owned a yamaha and have not kept up on much with dirtbikes till lately.

The WRs were made from (I think) 89 to about 96. The early ones were called something like "YZW". Of course, the earlier models had the white plastic w/ pink & torquoise & flourescent blue graphics & seat covers. Those early models sort of make you want to put on tight pants and grow your hair long. :banghead:

To determine the year, try calling your auto insurance man and give him the serial number. A lot of companies have the serial number information in their database which clicks off the vehicles year & model instantly. Hmmm, maybe insurance people DO have a purpose in life.

Was there anything on the Yam site which could help?

For parts numbers look-up, once you have the year & model, you can go to the Yamaha website and look up most any model. I've looked up IT200 stuff, so they would certainly have your bike's parts diagrams.

For parts sources, you have some choices. There is this site's store has OEM parts and I have good luck with Ronayers. Yamaha of Troy has listings of retail prices if you are interested in what the local shop will (should) charge.

Good luck with it. :banghead:

Good advice Bazooka Joe. I would add that it's OK to use Yamaha of Troy's website, but avoid ordering from them. They could care less when you get the parts. Try www.worldofpowersports.com, TT or another place like Rocky Mountain, etc.

Thank you all for the great advice. I ran the vin through the local Yamaha dealer and found out its a 1989 YZ250. Even though I wanted a WR, I won't be complaining about it being a YZ.

Now for the fun part... Finding all the parts to put it completely back together and make it run.