Sign in to follow this  

Enviromentalists compare ORVs with smokers

I wanted to share a paid advertisement with all of you. This was in the local paper in Monticello Utah, an area just south of Moab in south east Utah. We have a very diverse area to ride here, mountain trails, sandy washes and plenty of sand stone. Much of the land here is federal so we are constantly watching with interest Forest Service/BLM land management reviews. The last one for the Forest Service indicates a loss for us, as they are planning on closing trails. WE have put together a letter writing campaign, but time will tell and it does not look too good. Any way the "greenies" in this area are at it again with their BS logic and unproven "enviro facts".

Any way this is what SUWA (Southern Utah Wildernes Alliance) would like you to believe:

"In the 70's, smokers could "light it up" in any public place-in a movie theater, in a restaurant, in a bank, and even in an elevator. Today, such behavior is unthinkable. Smokers understand that the public demands they confine their habit to resticted areas.

That evolution in public thinking is a good thing to keep in mind when we talk about Utah's public lands and Off Road Vehicles, or ORVs. These days, ORV use is just like it was with smokin in the 1970s-off-roaders are permitted to "crank it up" pretty much anywhere they want on Utah's public lands. They destroy valuable wetland and stream habitats,crush fragile soils and desert plants, increase soil erosion and create serious water pollution problems.

Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of public land users-hikers,bikers, horseback riders,campers, and windshield tourists and jeepers who travel on designated routes-have to put up with the noise from off roaders.

Another parallel to smoking, is in the realm of government response-or lack of it. Just like the government's initial resistance to enacting smoking rules in the 70s and 80s - the Bureau of Land Management is ignoring the majority while favoring a very vocal minority when it comes to ORV policy.

It's time for a balanced approach to the management or ORVs on our publi lands For the world-famous landscapes of southern Utah, we should set aside a portion of our public lands for ORV recreation, and also preserve a portion of the backcountry for the vast majority who recreate on public lands without motors.

We haven't banned smoking entirely, nor should we ban ORVs. What we should do, though, is find a place where the ORVers can enjoy their habit without imposing the side-effects on others.

The days when smokers could "light it up" in every public space have passed. Why should ORVers be any different when they "crank it up" on our public lands?"

Well there it is, I would like to know what some of you riders think and what are some of the things going on in different parts of the USA in terms of land/trail closures. This article is so full of inaccuracies it makes me sick, like the "cast majority", I am not aware there was a census taken on how many greenies v ORVers, ORVs are not allowed to "crank it up" where ever we want, there are alot of trails/areas off limits to ORV already on "public lands", and my favorite, "imposing the side-effects of my habit on others", it isnt a habit morons, its fun, it doesn't cause cancer for you nor me, and they need to double check their info source on the damaged wetlands etc. there are trails we ride that have been used by cowboys for a little over 100 years, that are still in excellent condition. And sure there is the occasional idiot that gives the rest of us a bad rap, but for the most part the areas I ride, the ORVers are staying on the trails or washes, not damaging anything.

I posted this just for one reason, we all need to ban together, right now Utah is a big target for federal wilderness areas, closed to dang near everything, it may not be that way in the part of the country where you live..right now, but if the enviros get their way here, it will only be a matter of time before they target your favorite trails and riding spots.

When we vote we need to make sure the people we are putting in office are not part of this enviro paranoid movement.

Thanks for reading and letting me rant a bit, and if you want to ride in some great places, southern Utah has them so come on over and say hello to my friends at SUWA.

This is the mentality we are up against. Why are we having such a hard time getting the general population to see this crap for what it is? These folks are idiots and masters(?) at publicity. We should be using this crap in a national campaign against them!

Do you think the AMA and BRC have seen this? Wow.

This is entertaining:

"Meanwhile, the overwhelming majority of public land users-hikers,bikers, horseback riders,campers, and windshield tourists and jeepers who travel on designated routes-have to put up with the noise from off roaders."

Then:

It's time for a balanced approach to the management or ORVs on our publi lands For the world-famous landscapes of southern Utah, we should set aside a portion of our public lands for ORV recreation, and also preserve a portion of the backcountry for the vast majority who recreate on public lands without motors.

They politely forget to mention that 'winshield tourists' and 'jeepers' fall under the 'without motors' thing. Of course, if they overtly attacked them along with the OHV'ers, they'd get SUBSTANTIALLY more resistance.

This is a damn shame too, because I'm moving to SLC next summer and was looking foreward to the motorcycling that was never available in Cali. Someone needs to point out to the public that hikers demand 10 or more miles in every direction from any point on a trail, for hiking and nothing else, so they get that 'back to nature' feeling (or at least that's the way it is in Cali). But if they fall and break their leg, a ranger better damn well barrel in to save them in a truck, running over bushes and small critters, because that hiker isn't paying the 20k for life flight.

so basiclly what the "Southern Utah Wildernes Alliance" is that they support segregation. Seperate but equal right?

I am suprised that this crap goes on in utah. I mean having lived there for 7 years I know it has its fair share of tree worshiping, granola eating, hippies. But unlike cali, the government in utah is very conservitive. I would hope orin hatch can remind these people that bikes make no worse noises than your average hippie jam fest.

But if they fall and break their leg, a ranger better damn well barrel in to save them in a truck, running over bushes and small critters, because that hiker isn't paying the 20k for life flight.[/Quote]

hahahaha, now that is one true statement.

Legal riding is going, going, ....

You just can't fight the brainwashed masses.

People like to stop others from riding because it assuages their guilt over using gasoline and being consumers in general. It makes them feel better about themselves, and makes them feel like they are 'making a difference'. Don't plan on outnumbering them anytime soon.

Common sense and wisdom do not prevail in this country.

D

You know what gets me is that they would have all these thousands of acers closed down to anything but foot travel. But you know damn well that there isn't a single person out there that is going to go on a 100 mile day hike. So what is the point of closing off all this land. No one is ever going to see it. Which is exactly what they want. Land closed to everyone for all eternety.

On bikes we get to see land that very few people ever see. You dont see too many horseback rider weekend warriers making a 200 mile weekend treck into the wilderness.

I also liked how a jeep isn't an orv. How convenient.

I would love to have an e-mail adress to the jack ass that wrote that advertisement.

I agree with XR650L_Dave, people just have to have a scapegoat to pin stuff on. I don't understand why all these hikers are PO'ed at us using "their" gas for motorcycling, yet two or three of these yuppies will pile into their suburban and fight conjested roads for 3 hours to get away from it all.

I understand where they are coming from, but how there going about all this is all wrong.

Here, we have a great system to keep people off the trails, build a subdivision on it!

Ohhh look at this one.

http://www.suwa.org/page.php?page_name=Camp_Orv_Home

I really like the picture talking about building fences to keep orv's out of certain areas. But what is it in the back of that trailer??? Why it looks like an orv. And what is it that they hauled all that lumber out into the wilderness with??? Well it looks like a 4x4 truck. Hmm real enviromentaly friendly there huh. The rules aparently dont apply to them huh?

They won't be happy till we are ALL eating organic granola skipping along merrily in our birkenstocks reeking of patchulli singing save the..........................black angus.

What ever happened to pursuit of happiness and freedom?

Isn't this America?

Why do these people feel the need and the right to DICTATE how others should live?

They want to dictate what you eat, what you drive, the size house you live in, where it is placed, the type of clothing, cosmetics, and shoes you wear,

Where the hell does it end.

How about they live their own lives and let others live theirs?

The liberal fringe is like a disease infecting this country.

Nothing is worse for a wild area than backpacking:

Spreads human pathogens. Creates visual blight at camp grounds.

Potential wildfire risk. Harms local animals. Disturbes migration patterns of deer, elk, antelope. Hiking trails confuse animal boundaries. Hiking trails compact fragile soils. Driving to tailhead creates traffic and parking safety issues. Meadow areas are overrun and compacted. Firewood scavenging disturbes pristine areas. Noise and campfire light confuse animals. Streams are contaminated by human waste, soap, and discarded food. Graffitti and blackened fire pits create further visual blight.

Its time backpackers where taken off our public lands and put on small 'Backpack Parks" - they can walk around in circles in small isolated areas so the rest of us dont have to suffer the numerous negative effects of their habit.

redrock- just wanted to say i love your avitar, where did you get it so that i can rip it off for a differant forum...i'll give you credit

my brother has a bumper sticker that i love...he rides quads so it's says

"endanged species: protecting my right to ride" shows a pic of a quad and has an internet address of sorts...i'll try to get a pic or copy of it sometime...