Sign in to follow this  

Installing seat cover

Newbee to this kind of stuff here... I got a new custom seat cover from XGX for my YZ250F. Can someone please give me some install tips? The original cover is stapled to the plastic seat frame, so I'm not sure what the best way would be to install the new one... THANKS!!!!!

Hello

Most i have seen just have the new stapled over the old. If you want to do a proper job remove the old first. I wouldnt bother because you cant tell when the sear is bolted in position. Take your time, line things up and start stapling. Have cup of tea on standby to relieve stress :banghead:

The same way, staple it on. I used to use an electric stapler, they get the best penatration. Or that niffty sears high leverage stapler. Anyway the trick is to get it tight, start at the front, then put one or two in the back to keep it staight side to side (you can always move the rear ones as you go) Then work the sides down tight from front to back, use lots of staples.

I say I used to, because the last two I have got were SDG complete seats, I guess I am getting lazy.

Take your time and remember not to stretch it too much or you'll deform ur seat.

www.gutsracing.com has a link with GREAT instructions.

Don't rush it, and give your hands time to recover.

And make sure you have a cup of tea on hand (&%$#@!?!?!?!?!)

he's from Ireland dude...People drink tea over there. If he was in Utah, probably would have said "near beer" since thats what you guys have.

hey ireland forget tea get a guiness hahah love guiness. btw i heard that a heat gun/ blow dryer helps alot cuz you heat it and it stretches a little easier but dont stretch too much

as far as I know you need to take out the motor and strip the bike down to the frame, and thats where the tricky begins. you need to weld the sub-frame to the frame....even if you have a aluminum sub frame, and a steel frame......git er done!

I always use pop rivits to secure a seat cover, just drill a bunch of 1/8 inch holes around the base and stretch the cover to fit. Use an awl to locate the holes beneath the cover.

Put the cover in the clothes dryer for a couple of minutes to get it pliable. If it takes you a while (and it will the first time) you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat it up and get the folds out of the corners if needed.

Go for it. It's not difficult.

I just put the new cover over top of the original... It makes the seat more firm but thats the way I prefer it. You can take the old one off to it doesnt really matter but I did find that the new cover took form better going over top.