Sign in to follow this  

Tall Guy Setup

I am 6'4" and am trying to get my new CRF450R to fit me. I have been scouring through all the posts on here about setting up a CRF 450 for taller riders and got a lot of great ideas. Here is what I decided on:

Thumper Racing Bar Mounts - Move the bar up 1.5" and out 1"

Moose Tall Seat - Supposed to be the same as the SDG (??) seat, rasies the seat height an inch

Moose Footpegs - these are bigger than stock and sit back 1/2 inch from the stock position but are not any lower. I did not go with the fastways because I did not want my size 14's any lower to the ground.

I already have the ProTaper CR High Bars.

This should open things up quite a bit for me. I am totally excited to try out the new setup and will let you know how it works out. I was able to research these mods thanks to ThumperTalk, a lot of great info here.

The tall bar thing is actually backward for a taller rider. Your arms are longer, so you need a shorter bar. I thought the same thing and was looking into some tall bend bars until a friend of mine talk some logic into me. I was worried about going too low, so I got Windham bend ProTapers. They are good for tall guys because they are not too tall and have very little pull back, so you'll be a little further forward. I also put on an SDG tall seat and Fastway pegs. The bike feels awesome. I'm 6'2" and my bike feels roomy and comfortable now.

The pegs will help you out, its not that much lower that you will be getting caught up. But its enough that you will feel like you have more room.

I thought about the bar height quite a bit. It makes sense that if they are lower they will be farther away from you since the rake of the forks will bring them closer as they get taller. But ideally they will be higher for a tall rider than a short rider. That is why I am bringing them up and forward. If you think about it, if there is an ideal stance for a motocross rider, the bar height will go up as a rider gets taller. I agree that your arms are longer, but they are hinged at a place that is much higher than a short rider (your shoulders). If you are standing next to a short guy and both of you have your arms at your sides who's hands are lower? The short guy's right. While your hands are not at your sides while riding the same theory applies about height. In order for you to have the same position in the cockpit as a short guy you will need to have the bars raised.

I have always ridden with a stock setup so I have no idea how this all applies to actual riding, but I have never been able to stand very well while accelerating and have never been able to shift well while standing so I hope these mods will get my body in a better position to do so.

but I have never been able to stand very well while accelerating and have never been able to shift well while standing

The lower Fastway pegs will help alot with these issues. :banghead:

That's why I got the Windham bend. They are around the same height as the stock Carmichael bend Renthals, but with less pull back, so I put a little more weight on the front end and am in the attack position more comfortably.

I just put the risers from Thumper Racing on. WOW!! I'm 6'3" amd don't know how I rode without them. Now I can ride standing up no problem. Now they look goofy as all hell but they work. I have the flexbars on as well with lowboy pegs and a tall seat on order.

I'm with the Windham bends, tall seat and fastway lowboys. The Windhams feel so much better than the CR hi's. I have slightly taller bar mounts (Factory R&D- 10mm) as well, and have found that I too don't like too much of a humungously tall bar set up. Those THumper Racing things look a little ridiculous if you ask me. :banghead:

I go 6'3" and had good luck w/the Pro Taper Factory Suzuki bend (they're a little less swept back) w/PT rubber mount clamps (w/the optional taller risers)/SDG Tall Seat/& Fastway lowboys on my '04.

I'm trying a similar setup on my '06, but the pegs feel like they are farther back then I need. The height is ok though. Haven't got my new seat and am even considering the Step version. Still getting used to the new chasis.

I'm also 6'4" and have always just left things alone but this got me thinking. Yachtjim looks like he has a point but check out golf clubs, they are are the same length for almost everybody (womens clubs are shorter). If you stand next to someone who is alot shorter or taller than you and you both hang your hands to your sides check out where your hands are, both will be within an inch or so. This holds true for most people. The taller seat does help the transition from sitting to standing but i don't think i'd move my bars to far forward

I disagree on both points.

I've dabbled in golf over the years (my family would be ecstatic if I took it up full time over MX! I say wait until I'm over 50!) and most serious players (this includes both high and low handicappers) have their clubs custom fitted. I bought a mid range set 10 years ago and had the irons extended a bit.

Moving the risers forward makes a huge difference, especially on the Honda! I rode YZ/YZF's before and it wasn't as big of a deal. It really allows you to open up the cockpit and allows you to get more forward.

Let's be honest, the OEM test riders are definitely shorter and lighter than the average guy riding/racing these bikes. If you don't set them up both suspension and ergo wise you're missing out!

Custom fitting of golf clubs usually is only to the lie not the length and even then only in tiny increments but we're getting off topic. All I wanted to point out is that when standing most mens hands fall at the same point. If you look at pros bikes you see that even from the shortest to the tallest riders thers not much difference, maybe a few millimeters here and there. I've always been fussy about shifter and lever angle and bar bend so that I'm comfortable when standing but, hey, do whatever makes you happy.

I just stood next to somebody in my office and measured. They are 5'5". I am 11" taller. The tips of our fingers are 4" apart. Not sure how the angles shake out when reaching for bars but I can assume for the two of us to be in the same position on the bike the bars would need to be altered. What it really comes down to though is personal comfort. I know when I am standing I am reaching down more than out so it is literally impossible for me to hold my body in the right position while accelerating. Physics won't allow it. So with my arms up a little higher I hope I will be able to hold on a little better. I suffered on my last bike with no major adjustments like this, I hope it works on this bike. If not it's always easy to go back to stock. Now where is that damn UPS guy....

Like I said; whatever makes you happy. By the way, do you have you bike ste up for a sitting or standing position. Maybe if you work on that aspect and then try a more aggressive "attack" stance (more crouched than standing) things will be better when accelerating hard. By the way, I'm not a golfer, I was just passing along something the golf pro who was fitting my son's clubs told me.

i'm 6'5" and currently ride a cr250. I have always had a hard time standing because i'm bent over so far i spent the whole time crouching. I am looking for a 450 and when i get it i will def. get high bars, seat and stuff. On my stock cr250 i can come within 2inchs from touching my knees together.

Just wait untill you guys put those risers on, after a short time riding with them you'll wonder how you ever rode without them. Then the first time you jump on your buddies bike w/o risers you'll think your riding a CR80.

I thought about the bar height quite a bit. It makes sense that if they are lower they will be farther away from you since the rake of the forks will bring them closer as they get taller. But ideally they will be higher for a tall rider than a short rider. That is why I am bringing them up and forward. If you think about it, if there is an ideal stance for a motocross rider, the bar height will go up as a rider gets taller. I agree that your arms are longer, but they are hinged at a place that is much higher than a short rider (your shoulders). If you are standing next to a short guy and both of you have your arms at your sides who's hands are lower? The short guy's right. While your hands are not at your sides while riding the same theory applies about height. In order for you to have the same position in the cockpit as a short guy you will need to have the bars raised.

I have always ridden with a stock setup so I have no idea how this all applies to actual riding, but I have never been able to stand very well while accelerating and have never been able to shift well while standing so I hope these mods will get my body in a better position to do so.

Yes the above is very true. I am a 6'5" rider.

I use Flex 12 degree bars tilted forward to slightly past the 3 mark on the bar alignment marks and TAG 10mm risers.

This allows my longer arms to assume what I feel is the perfect motocross position with my elbows up. :banghead:

you know - i have fastway low pegs and sdg tall seat on my 04 crf, I did have really tall pro tapers, but after a heavy crash and a bent set of handlebars I looked into what pastrana uses - seeing as he is 6 foot 2 like me - he uses suzuki low bars. I figure if its good enough for him it would be good enough for me - anyhow - you ever notice how pastrana's style is way over the front of the bike with his elbows almost vertical? - his bar bend kind of forces you to do that - it feels easier to control to me. more in control and looks cooler on the track.

chris

Pastrana uses ape hangers for free style. The big difference with tall guys and tall bars is it allows your thigh to travel up higher under the bar when railing a berm keeping you from getting bound up. I used to listen to the low center of gravity low bars school and always had two big bruises on top of my thighs from my bar. Tall bars allow a tall guy to really rail a berm with out getting bound up. Railing berms is usually most tall guys weakness.

I felt like I nearly broke my damn leg once when my bars trapped my leg against the radiators while taking a tight inside right hander. . . :banghead: