Sign in to follow this  

Fvo Subtanks

I just put on my FVO subtanks that I purchased from Framebreaker Racing. In a fairly recent thread there was some heated discussion regarding his subtanks and the ones offered by ShawnMC. I happen to have a the exact same set up that Shawn sells (Bimba tanks and valves) on one of my bikes and am happy with them. The whole problem for me is that I don't like drilling my fork caps. Not that it is difficult, but when you sell your bike you pretty much have to sell the tanks with it, or buy new fork caps. Anyway, as a result of the spirited discussion, Framebreaker offered his tank set up (for a short time) for the same price as Shawn's. What draws me to his is the fact that the fork caps do not need to be drilled. I was concerned however that the valves being so much smaller wouldn't flow enough air to work properly. Since he was offering them for $170 instead of $300, I thought what the heck I'll give em a try.

Just so everyone knows and is clear, I don't know this guy at Framebreaker so I have no hidden agenda, but when I ordered I did promise him I would post my feedback on the tanks. I belong to several forum sites, but rarely post. I am more interested in what others have to say.

When I got the tanks I was pretty impressed because they are a nice looking set up. The carbon fiber is cool and the way they attach to the fork tubes is much better than my bimba set up. (Neoprene Sleeves) Another thing that I specifically liked, that I initially thought I would hate, was the plastic tubing. Honestly the braided lines look pretty cool, but the plastic lines can be cut to any length to make installation a custom deal, plus they look better than I thought. The bleed valves are on top of the tanks to make bleeding very easy. Getting to the bottom of the tank for adjustment of the valve is a bit more difficult, but once I find the adjustment I want, I rarely go there anyway. Finally, I like the deal where the tanks are self draining back into the fork. I have heard others say they never get oil in the Bimba set up....well I do, and it sucks having to take the tanks loose and turn them up to drain them. Apparently this is not necessary with the FVO system, but I admit I haven't used them long enough to find out really.

I installed them on my 2004 CR500AF at full closed position just to get a baseline. Everything was normal. They have 8 turns of adjustment so I though I would try half way out. I opened them up 4 turns and went riding. I definitely noticed a much more plush fork...very good. Just out of curiosity I then opened them all the way to the full 8 turns and went out again....... Even more plush.

My riding this last weekend was cut short because my spokes on my rear wheel came loose (again) and I had to pack up and go home. Overall I will say that I am very happy with both the look and the function of the tanks. One thing that I will say when comparing the two systems; on the FVO system I seem to notice more of a difference when adjusting the valves than I do on my Bimba set up......Maybe it is just my imagination? Also, my thought that the valves wouldn't flow enough air seem unfounded, since the were every bit as plush as the Bimba set wide open.

Both systems work well and I will honesly say that I probably would not have purchased the FVO system if it was full price, but it is a cool set up.

Sounds nice. Got any pics? Is the only benifit a plusher fork? Is it plusher all around or just in the beginning, does this make the rest of the stroke softer too?

You could probably PM FRAMEBREAKER on this board or go to the website framebreaker.com. He told me he was only offering them for the $170 until the end of Sept. I think his original price is now back in effect, but check with him he might still be honoring it.

There are photos on the website but if I can figure out how to post them I'll try tomorrow or the next day.