Sign in to follow this  

2005 CRF80 Questions

I just bought my boy (8, 9 in Jan) a CRF80. The problem being is that I being a typical dad I bought a bike a little too big....he will grow into it. I did some searching and did not find anything too helpful about lowering the bike. Some suggested cutting the spring, smaller wheels/tires cutting seat foam to name a few. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try or not to try.

I also need to come up with something to move the brake/clutch lever in a little bit, his hands are just a little small to be confortable reach, anybody got ideas on adjustable leavers, or should I just bend them in a little.

I rode the thing around the property yesterday and was impressed, the thing moved my 155lbs very well and my 100lb wife thinks it is a perfect bike for her....poor kid he might not ever get to ride. Other then the bike flooding out easly upon cold start it is a pretty good bike.

I did the same thing. My kid hated the bike: too tall and had a bad time with the clutch. I sold it and bought a KLX 110 for him. Now that is what I should have done in the beginning.

I just bought my boy (8, 9 in Jan) a CRF80. The problem being is that I being a typical dad I bought a bike a little too big....he will grow into it. I did some searching and did not find anything too helpful about lowering the bike. Some suggested cutting the spring, smaller wheels/tires cutting seat foam to name a few. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try or not to try.

I also need to come up with something to move the brake/clutch lever in a little bit, his hands are just a little small to be confortable reach, anybody got ideas on adjustable leavers, or should I just bend them in a little.

I rode the thing around the property yesterday and was impressed, the thing moved my 155lbs very well and my 100lb wife thinks it is a perfect bike for her....poor kid he might not ever get to ride. Other then the bike flooding out easly upon cold start it is a pretty good bike.

check my garage for the lever mod....works awesome. my son loved the change.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=927

As for lowering... you got me. I've seen seat foam shaved, but I thing smaller wheels is the best way. I just make him ride it as is...helps his balance.

I like the set screw idea, I will do that. He has had an automatic mini bike and wanted a bike that shifted, I told him that if he wanted to shift he needed to learn how to use a clutch. After I make that lever mod we will start working on using the clutch.

🤣 You maybe should have got him a CRF70F. My son was 12 when I bought his 80. It's his first bike and the clutch was a pain in the ass.....but the height wasn't an issue.

I have worked with him alot and he does great with the clutch and gears now :banghead: but if he would have had to deal with a bike that was too tall for him, he may have given up.

Man I know they grow FAST :banghead: , and all too often I myself am guilty of going over my kids head thinking they'll grow into it, or they can handle it. Then I find myself sitting back saying........

I looked at a 70 and it looked....cheap....next to the 80. Please don't flame me on how good a 70 is, but put both bikes together and you will see what I mean. This kid was getting a good foot of air on a cheap chink bike on the little jumps in my yard and the 70 looked like it was not up to this kind use not to mention I bet he would be going faster and higher.

I doubt that this boy is going to be a big fella Dad was around 5ft tall and mom was just a whisp taller. I was thinking I would not need to buy a bigger bike for a VERY long time, and I doubt I will, worst case my wife likes it and I will buy him something else. He fit a 70 fine and fit a kaw/suz110 on his tip toes. I did not think that the honda 80 was that much taller, but this one is.

I know now that I got a little ahead of my self and might end up getting another bike until he can grow into the 80. I am pretty sure he will catch on to using a clutch pretty fast.

Not sure if I will buy another bike this year or wait till spring. But I need to get him something....or start streaching the boy :banghead:

once I modded the lever so he could reach it easily, Speed_Bump figured out the clutch in about 5 minutes. he was 9. he got good enough on it he ask to go to some races on it and did ok (midpack finishes in most of the 5 races this summer). and he tip toes the bike on one foot.

Your kid will do fine on the 80. I see kids at the track racing that cant even touch. They are using a riser box at the start so they can touch. its amazing how fast they learn and adapt to new bikes. If he really wants to ride he will figure out how to do it.

Make sure you have some wide open places for him to learn to ride it. That way he has room to move without having to worry about hitting things. He may have a off season while he learns to ride adapt to it. But once he figures it out look out. He will be a streek.

I had the same problem on my son's 02,There is a little metal tab on the clutch perch that goes between the lever and perch, when properly agusted it makes the reach shorter for his hands,I moved the forks up in the clamps in front to lower it about 3 inches and in the back, I carfuly heated the spring(off the shock) and then installed it, this also gave around 3 inches in back,but know he's got bigger and i"ve changed every thing back to factory settings and we have started adding power to the little bogger(pipe,k/n air filter,gets ,cam) hope this helps!!

Thanks, it helps a-lot. I was thinking about getting another spring and doing just as you suggest. Thanks again.