Sign in to follow this  

XR400 & CRF450 Cam Chain?

What's this i hear that the CRF450 cam chain also fits the XR400 & is a bit more heavy duty & half the price? too good to be true?

When people say it fits, do they mean it's the right length etc & no shortening of the cam chain is involved?

I'd be interested to know as i might well replace mine when i fit my 426 kit!

:banghead:

Yes a 02-04 CRF 450 cam chain fits perfectly on the XR 400 is half the price of the stock one. It has the same number of links but a little bit wider since there is an extra plate per link. I put one in when I did my 426. I learned this from exriders.com since the ex's have had some trouble with cam chains breaking when using aggressive cams.

To take put in the new camchain on you will have to take off the engine sidecover and the clutch basket. The clutch basket nut is staked so you will need to dremel the nut to get it off and get a new nut when you put it back on. You will also need to get a clutch holder to hold the basket in place while you loosen the nut.

You can get the clutch holder off of the TT store and the rest at www.servicehonda.com. Here are the part numbers.

CRF 450 timing chain: 14401-MEB-671

Staked clutch basket nut: 90236-HA0-000

right side crankcase gasket:11394-KCY-670

• Like 1

I took off my clutch basket without any speacial tools other than an impact wrench. I wish I would of known about the crf timing chain when I replaced mine but I heard you are suppose to swap out for a new cam chain every 4 years. By then I think Ill have my 426 pumped up to a 440.