Sign in to follow this  

Superstition for T-day

Please tell me everything you know about the place. I may be spending t-day there.

I am a NorCal woods rider. What should i expect.

Any pics.

Thanks,

D

Thanks for the link.

Nice site, but the links are down right now.

This is my territory I love riding here, you can go from hard pack to wash outs to the beautyful dunes. The bombing range is very cool but you need to really look around before you approach it we have been shooshed away by some pretty gnarley F-18 Hornets and F-16's bout 30ft above our heads, let me tell you Ive never been so close to losing all control of my bodily functions if you know what I mean. They also have some Hummers that will come out if you dont leave. But all that aside we have many awsome treasures from this place, not to mention the huge tank that they put in the middle of the range to target, you can climb all over this beast. Any who I recommend it heavily go enjoy some very high speed rides with some sick dunes. :banghead::banghead:

uh... wow. All i can say as a former Forward Observer in the Army is that you have a seriously tweaked mind if you even consider entering an impact area. You do realize that on every single operation there are a number of muntions that do not explode? So assuming they aren't fireing up the range (not that you could tell until it was too late) you still have a danger of blowing yourself up. Especially in the vicinity of that tank hull....

WR you are seriously a nut. We go ride out there all the time and whenever we go just on the fringe of the bombing range you can see all sorts of unexploded ammo. I think you are just asking to get blown up going out there. He is right though, there is some very good riding out there.

Supes is the bomb! As far as munitions laying around, blue is cool. The blue bombs are dummy bombs, strictly for practice. That's not to say that there isn't unexploded ordanance out there. Most of their flyovers are just for practice runs. I think that most of the live stuff is at other sites, due to the close proximity of the OHVAs. I've never run into anyone out there except for Border Patrol, and they just wave. A good rule of thumb is to just stay away from any of the bombs and don't mess with it.

El Centro is the winter home of the Blue Angels, and you can see them practicing out there all the time. Prett cool, free air show. It's an awesome area to stage. You can hit Ocotillo Wells, Plaster City, Painted Gorge, and the Yuha Desert. If you're street legal, you can hit up Anza-Borrego. You'll be tired before you ride it all.

If the sand is deep shopuld I change my rear skin from a Millville to something else?

What do you all run in the desert.

Personally, I run the Maxxcross IT. A buddy rides the Carlsbad out there. I've even seen people running paddles. There is alot of different terrain out there, so paddles really limit how much you can ride and where. You should be fine with what you got.

If the sand is deep shopuld I change my rear skin from a Millville to something else?

What do you all run in the desert.

I've been running a Maxxis IT for the most part on my XR650R for Ocotillo Wells. I tried the Millville and I thought it ROCKED! Worked well transitioning from hard to slippery and hooked up GREAT in the sand (like the sand wall at Superstition). The only knock I would give it is that the 650R made short work of it. The Maxxis lasts longer. I have a Maxxis IT on the rear of my RM250. I'm not as happy with it for motocross. I've been hearing great reviews of the new Dunlop 952 or whatever number it is. That's what I'm getting next.

The Maxxcross IT also has a thicker, beefier sidewall. Helps to prevent pinch flats in the rocky north side of Superstition Mountain. A softer tire over there will get eaten up fast.

Are flags needed at Superstition?

What are the specs? Height from seat. size of flag, etc....

I'll be there too. As far as terrain you'll see it all. Hardpack to sand to rocks. No flags required.

OK,

We might be heading to Ocotillo for a day on Tues then to Superstition until Sat.

See you there.

You can ride to Ocotillo from Superstition. ~ 20 - 25 miles to the south boundary of the OHV park over some of the best terrain out there. I camp in the OHV during the off weekends but it's just a bit too crowded and crazy for my taste on the big holidays.

the place has everything to ride so any tire works you can go from hardpacked mudhills to sand dunes and washes so dont put on a paddle