Sign in to follow this  

tail/brake light mod

Anyone swap out the single contact tail light in their KLX300 with a tail/brake light socket? I am looking for a specific part that works with the existing oem setup. I can't seem to get ahold of anyone at 4strokes only and they have exactly what I need.

Yes. i've done that. You need the brake light sensor that goes on your rear master cylinder. You can get that from FSO, or probably your local dealer. Then, go down to your local auto parts store and get a dual filament tail light with matching socket. I pulled my stock one so that I could get one about the same size. It's a simple easy mod. Sorry, I don't have exact part #'s, but you can easily find what you need at Pep boys, Auto zone or any auto parts store.

Yes. i've done that. You need the brake light sensor that goes on your rear master cylinder. You can get that from FSO, or probably your local dealer. Then, go down to your local auto parts store and get a dual filament tail light with matching socket. I pulled my stock one so that I could get one about the same size. It's a simple easy mod. Sorry, I don't have exact part #'s, but you can easily find what you need at Pep boys, Auto zone or any auto parts store.

Thanks for the reply Bill, but I haven't been able to get any response from FSO. If so, I would be ordering the light kit right from them. They have exactly what I am looking for on their web page. I have read other threads on TT where other people are having the same problem. Do you know what gives?

Yeah. Andy who owns and runs the place is a great guy, but seems to be not to on top of it when it comes to business. Although I'd happily give him my business (it's hard to do so the way he runs things), I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Good luck. Bill

I went with Bill's plan and bought a socket at the local auto parts place, and the hydrolic switch. Had to make the socket fit and ran a third wire in. Pulled the brake light current in from the light circuit before the switch and put an in-line fuse in the loop. We have a large used bike parts shop in Phoenix, that would have been another option. The socket on my old XR250 was about the same size as the KLX, but the third wire still had to be soldered in place.

Thanks guys. I guess it's a trip to the auto parts store to try to rig something together.

Another option I've used many times over the years is this -

Cut one of the wires going to your existing tailight.

Insert a 10 ohm 10 watt resister in that wire.

Connect the brake light switch to short out the resister.

This assumes that your lights (specifically your tailight) is on all the time.

Now, your taillight will be dim because of the resister, but when you hit the brakes it will get bright (full power to it).

That way you don't have to change the taillight socket or add any more wires. The wiring to the taillight usually goes by not too far from the brakelight switch, so just wire straight up from it to the resister (which you can get at Radio Shack).

As an added bonus you are less likely to burn out the taillight bulb as it is running at reduced current most of the time.

:banghead: CTDT That's brilliant :banghead:

I suppose that you would replace the existing bulb with one with a brighter filament?

Wayne

2002 KLX250, air forks, 34mm Dellorto

Replace with a brighter bulb? Why bother?

When I had it inspected the cops just looked to see that it lit - not how bright it was.

On my '90 DR350 I think I'm running the orginal taillight bulb. I know I've never burned it out, but I may have smashed the glass.

Believe it or not, you can see the brake light when you are single tracking through the woods.... at least that's what the guys I rode the Six Days of Michigan with one year told me.

I never bothered to change it.... it works, and that's good enough for me.

Another option I've used many times over the years is this ,Insert a 10 ohm 10 watt resister. Connect the brake light switch to short out the resister.

I must say thank you for such a great tip. I just put away the soldering gun and heat shrink tubing. I now have a brake light that works perfectly. THANKS!