Sign in to follow this  

What to look for, VALVES,06'450R

Tearing down my 06'450R tonight to check things over and grease, I came of a 125 2 stroke so in my transistion I certainly overreved the hell out of my 4 stroke. Going to check valve clearance to owners manual, although what other things should I look for as signs of wear? or if I need new valves.

I seen some talk about replacing with kibblewhite stainless steal valves and springs, nessesary or wait till I see damage?

Anyother advise of things to look for while bike is apart please inform,

THANKS,

JAY

Just check the clearances, record them and keep track of it thats all. When it starts to move, if it starts to move you can shim it to buy some time. But at that point you will need new valves sooner or later.

Tearing down my 06'450R tonight to check things over and grease, I came of a 125 2 stroke so in my transistion I certainly overreved the hell out of my 4 stroke. Going to check valve clearance to owners manual, although what other things should I look for as signs of wear? or if I need new valves.

I seen some talk about replacing with kibblewhite stainless steal valves and springs, nessesary or wait till I see damage?

Anyother advise of things to look for while bike is apart please inform,

THANKS,

JAY

Seems like you would have an intersting time revving the 450 like it was a 125. Are your arms still attached? :banghead:

lol, Yeah I beat the hell outta the bike, Till about 4 laps into a moto then my arms a ready to fall off!!

Ditto w/CJ-s4. Check the clearances and if they're off you can shim to buy you a few(only a few) hours ride time. I love my CRF but, in my experience the OEM valves are just TERRIBLE. I'm putting in KW SS valves this week.

You may be one of the blessed folks that have no valve problems whatsoever. There are a lot of y'all out there. But, why not replace with KW's if you do have a valve problem and be done with it!

You may be one of the blessed folks that have no valve problems whatsoever. There are a lot of y'all out there. But, why not replace with KW's if you do have a valve problem and be done with it!

We just checked my brother's 03. That has so many hours on it who knows. We never checked them cause he never knew how, I always rode a 2 stroke so why should I learn to work on his bike? Anyway they checked out at dead on,, perfect,, I mean &%$#@!? How is that?

Yo cj-S4, like I said, soem are blessed with no problems and then there are those like I who put on a NEW filter every 2 hours and stilll get there OEM valves worked! Your bro is blessed!

We just checked my brother's 03. That has so many hours on it who knows. We never checked them cause he never knew how, I always rode a 2 stroke so why should I learn to work on his bike? Anyway they checked out at dead on,, perfect,, I mean &%$#@!? How is that?

Does he hit the rev limiter often? how about oils changes and air filter cleaning/oiling? If you don't 'ride them like you stole them' they don't seem to sh!t to bed so quick. I however am on my 3rd set of valves, KW SS though this last time.

Does he hit the rev limiter often? how about oils changes and air filter cleaning/oiling? If you don't 'ride them like you stole them' they don't seem to sh!t to bed so quick. I however am on my 3rd set of valves, KW SS though this last time.

He hardly hits the rev limiter. He maintains it well, not as much as some but some where in the middle. He uses noToil and cleans the stock air filter every 3-4 rides, and usually does an oil change at the same time. He uses Honda HP4 10w-40.

It seems that once they start to move thats it, they go. But what is it that causes them to move? He is a top B middle A rider, so its not like he don't use the engine, it gets worked.

Your bro is blessed! Like I said, NEW Ready Filter every 2 hours and I have gone through 4 intake valves in the last 6 months. No more. KW's all the way!!!