Sign in to follow this  

Land, liability, right of ways??

Anyone know anything about land use, liability and right of ways? There is some property for sale along some power lines that is ridden illegaly by tons of people including myself. Total land for sale is ten acres. Three are wooded with road frontage, good for a house, shop etc. Seven are powerlines and a little bit of woods on the other side of the lines.

Was thinking of building a shop and in back a mx/tt track- trails etc. on the powerlines. Not sure how much control Duke power has on the land under the lines. They have a right of way/easment but can they dictate the use of the land to protect their interest?

What kind of liability would an owner have for trespassers? Right now it is impossible to control the access of the land. Really wouldn't care who used it but not at my risk. There is some great riding further down the powerlines but main access is thru this property. Would hate to fence it off. It would become a battle with all the locals.

What county is it in?

I recieved a nice citation a few years back for riding some powerlines in Surry. Excellent hillclimbs BTW....

progress energy (used to be CP&L) will bust you for riding the powerlines at blewitt falls north of rockingham. durn shame, as there are some nasty hillclimbs on those trails.