Supermoto pants/riding gear

I'm looking forward to next years gear requirements and I'm not really wanting to be another TLD clone, so does anyone else make moto like riding gear that can put up with a high speed get-off on pavement other than Mr. Troy Lee?. I really like the TLD stuff, especially the under armor-though I've see many a jersey shredded and It all looks pretty much the same. The leather supermoto suit is just too damn hot on most days and also restricts movement.

I have both. The Troy Lee stuff is disposable in the event of a crash. I went down once and the pants are toast, the jersey is shredded and the only reusable part is the speed jacket and even that hasn't got much plastic left on the elbow guard any more.

The leathers I bought to replace them are much more durable and can withstand many crashes before they need to be replaced. If you think the leathers restrict movement too much buy a two piece suit. They're cut much different than a one piece and other than being hot are much more comfortable than a one piece suit. Not sure if you can get them vented in a two piece though.

I'm bummed to hear that you TLD stuff was toast after one crash, that's not a sustainable program for me. I have always worn leathers and right now have the Dainesie 1 piece supermoto suit which fits well and has protected me fine but it is HOT and RESTRICTIVE. It seems like there should be some more options out there???

Vented leathers, and if you can get them vented two piece, or vented supermoto (cut) leathers would be the way to go.

My one piece suit is crazy hot too, and the cut makes even just standing around in the pits very uncomfortable. If I had it to do over again I'd get the two piece version of the same suit I have as it's way more comfortable off the bike. I find the cut of the one piece suits to be more uncomfortable than the heat of wearing them.

I'm bummed to hear that you TLD stuff was toast after one crash, that's not a sustainable program for me. I have always worn leathers and right now have the Dainesie 1 piece supermoto suit which fits well and has protected me fine but it is HOT and RESTRICTIVE. It seems like there should be some more options out there???

your leathers should not be restrictive, unless they do not fit properly.

custom fit/made leathers would be the way to go.

Ever try holding your arms over your head in a set of leathers designed to fit in a crouched position on a motorcycle? The crotch gets really tight, really fast. They fit perfect, as long as I'm sitting on the bike. If I got them to fit me in a walking position they wouldn't fit right on the bike.

From now on I'll take the leathers off when someone asks me to help them move the 10x10 over a bit in their pits. I don't need a voice that high. :banghead:

Leather is best..... The TLD stuff is a good alternaive from full one piece suits and it seems to do its job but depending on the crash plan on buying a few extra jerseys. The pants seem to hold up better and again it depends on how hard the crash is.

I wear Shift Supermoto suits they fit great have knee pads and seem to hold up and are reasonably priced.

GMOTO also makes a very good alternative suit its very light (Kangaroo Skin) and has vented nylon chest area. Its down side its $$$.

Darrick

www.westcoastsupermoto.com

I have the Joe Rocket 2-Piece SM gear, and if you zip them up, you will probably like them in the event of a crash.

I also crash tested them...But it was a VERY unusual crash to say the least.

I somehow locked up my front wheel at the end of the start finish straight at stockton, so I ended up going down upper body first, and sort of face first. (My right shoulder impacted initially). I tumbled once or twice and the bike kept sliding into and slightly over me before I was able to kick it away from me. I slid face down all the way past T1 to the plastic barriers which my bike cleared away for me, and I did have some minor rash. Had my leathers been zipped together, the slight rash on my hip would have been non-existent.

I also had rash on my forearms, but gauntlet gloves would have prevented that, and my pinky finger (which was the worst of all) and I was wearing the TLD carbon MX style gloves...for the most part they helped save my hands even though I know they are not ideal for pavement surfing. (I had brought gauntlet gloves, but upon getting to the track, I found that they were my wives...Doh!)

The nice thing about the Joe Rockets are that they have pretty good ventilation, and are pretty easy to move around in. The bad part is that they are somewhat hefty. I am sure that I also would have really loved these things in a standard low-side get-off, but such was not my luck that day.

Hope this helps, and for the record I would say full leathers all the way except the reality is that it can get pretty hot around here, and that is what makes them unpopular. However, your choice...dress for the ride, or dress for the crash...It really is tough to do both.

Mike

i've got the shift suit (1pc), and while it is hot and sorta uncomfortable when standing around, it is really well ventilated and works well at anything over 20-25mph. the hard armor is pretty beefy, and the suit holds up well to pavement. the mesh liner is removeable for cleaning, which is nice. great price.