Sign in to follow this  

gearbox problems...any advice

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie here, and although i have riden many makes of bikes both on road off road and custom built. I have never really had much to do with KT M's🤣

I come cap in hand for a Friend who is starting out and doing pretty well in the amateur field. He is a little inexperienced when it comes to buying bikes however :banghead: Basically he has bought a KTM 250 which he was told had a slight clutch problem🤣

Anyhoo he came round to show me his new acquisition...£1500.00p he paid for it and well Lets say the clutch is fine🤣 on inspection the bike kicks up and sounds beautiful No rattles knocks or horrorginostrafants, the overall condition of the machine is very good...it doesn't look abused. :busted:

The problem is i can select 1st gear and the clutch bites nice and the bike rides okay. That's it...i can re select neutral but nothing else :busted: does this sound like a familiar fault to any one? any pointers would be appreciated :banghead:

A friend of mine with a 2002 200 E/XC had a very similar problem. It got stuck in 3rd. It wouldn't shift out of 3rd into any other gear.

I removed the clutch cover, and the clutch so I could get at the gear shift ratchet mechanism. I took it all apart, and found that the spring pins has gotten stuck inside the ratchet mechanism, and it wasn't pushing the plates out to make contact with the shift drum. I ended up replacing the springs, pins and plates, and it has worked fine ever since. I'd have a look at your friends shift ratchet mechanism.

Good Luck

that ratchet mechanism is in the low spot in the cases and debris from clutch lining etc have been known to settle there and jamb the shifter