Sign in to follow this  

Tires for a DRZ400S

I just bought a DRZ400S a few months ago. It's my first bike. I heard the stock tires are bad and I've fallen offroad quite a few times already. I was looking for some tire recommendations. I ride about 0.25 mile to school everyday on it. On the weekends I take it offroad where the terrain is flat, sandy, and muddy. There's a lot of loose sand. I've seen a lot of places on the internet that recommend tires but I was wondering if I need any kind of specific tires for such sandy/muddy conditions.

I was thinking Dunlop606 in the rear and Pirelli MT18 in front. I've heard Kenda K760 TrackMaster II's are good but I can't seem to find them in the right size (120/90-18) any where on the internet. Any help would be appreciated. Also, where's a good place to order tires on the internet? A lot of sites look like a 10-year old made them.

Looks like you're a victim to be eaten by the great Teraflex II and a Michelin Enduro Competition IV!

Most rear tires either perform wel in mud or on rocks. The Tera is the only tire I know who does both AND performs reasonably well on wet and dry tarmac!

Same goes for the Michelin!

Noppy

The D606 rear is not bad if you run low air pressure, its a trade off tire that works good everywhere and great no where. I tried the 760 trackmaster II "rear", to soft a tire for a 400, might work fine on a 125 or smaller CC bike. The S-12 F/R is great tire for mud and sand on a KTM, makes a DRZ front end push vary bad. You don't need as much front tire like the 18 if your planning on a 606 on the rear, a 16 should work fine.

I think the Dunlop 606 is awesome! The DRZ is my first bike too. I went to the 606 and immediately noticed a difference...A huge difference! Great tires. I put them on around 400 miles and currently have 2400 miles on the bike. There's probably 1/3 left on them. I got them for $53 each from Rocky Mountain. You can never go wrong with a Michelin...they are usually $75-$110 per tire though. So, the 606 is one of the best bang for your buck tires for the Z.

Dan

I ride about 0.25 mile to school everyday on it.

Really? Is your engine even warm by the time you get there?

I walk .25 mile to post a letter!

I run Michelin Enduro Comp 4 fronts and Enduro Comp 3 rears. They'll do everyting you want and more!

Ian

Don't overlook full dirt tires. I'm running a Dunlop 756 rear and a 739 front. I ride 16 miles to work on curving mountain roads in traffic. I haven't had any problems on the road when it's dry, and I'm going up to 70 mpr at times. The performance off road is great. Even in the rain they don't do too bad, I'm very carefull however.

KENDA track master II is what I run, and the extra hight on the rear is fine, it wont affect your speedometer. their great dirt tires and handle good on the street, after 100 miles or so, the first 100 miles are squirmy till they break in. Their CHEAP so if you wear em out, buy another rear, the front will last through 2 rear's

Tires unlimited

80/100/21 for the front

120/100/18 for the rear

$103.84 exact, after shipping

I have the Kenda trackmasterII and I think they are the best tires out there DOT. I have almost 700 miles on them, mostly on road to get to the trails and the rear is still looking almost new. Best DOT tire that is great in the sand and mud. My friend is using them on his xr400 and he got almost 1800 miles out of the rear.

I have the Kenda trackmasterII and I think they are the best tires out there DOT. I have almost 700 miles on them, mostly on road to get to the trails and the rear is still looking almost new. Best DOT tire that is great in the sand and mud. My friend is using them on his xr400 and he got almost 1800 miles out of the rear.

exactly what he said

Well I have waisted my money on D606 tires. They suck! And any dot tire just gets you a half a$$ tire. And on all the rides I go on in Michigan the best riders use Michillen S-12. And now I use them. They handle great on the rode but then my bike tops out at about 60mph. You see I do mostly single track and sand trails and the S-12 out performs Dunlop and all the rest for this part of the country. Have road for about 30 years and the S-12 is tops bar none.

KENDA track master II is what I run, and the extra hight on the rear is fine, it wont affect your speedometer. their great dirt tires and handle good on the street, after 100 miles or so, the first 100 miles are squirmy till they break in. Their CHEAP so if you wear em out, buy another rear, the front will last through 2 rear's

Tires unlimited

80/100/21 for the front

120/100/18 for the rear

$103.84 exact, after shipping

Dude (can I call you dude?), the Trackmaster is $37 ea +/- from Rocky Mountain. Shipping not incl. I doubt they'd charge over $35 to ship them! Rocky Mountain is the bomb! Hey Zues...What does that S-12 usually run?

Dan

wish you would have TOLD ME THAN WHEN I BOUGHT THEM! for real though i just found that site like a week ago, havent doing much shopping latly since in this last week i have spent over 700$ in new mods, 400 for full yosh, 60 for a dyno jet kit 10 dollars for exhaust gasket and 230 for hotcams stage 2 intake and exhaust

ok, wow i just looked at rocky, your right, they are cheap there. O well, when i need a new rear than i know where to go

I use the Pirelli mt44 on the front and mt21 on back (130) great life out of them the mt44 hooks up great but be easy on the front breaks to save the knob on the road. Rocky mountain is cheap also tires unlimited they usually offer free shipping over the holidays ( buy 2 ) 2 rear tires 110. bucks.... Yeah burnum like you just don't care. clutch it on every dirt spot on the road.

I like the Trakmaster II's the back is a great tire wears well and hooks up. Did someone mention their cheap? Beware though the front sucks, but it is cheap. I think bear, with me that an MT21 or the MT18 front, depending on what you ride, went well with it and was a much better tire. I haven't tried that combo myself but was going to after this front.

Good luck

Get the Teraflex II, great perf in sand/mud/rocks/dirt of anykind, great roost factor (your friends will learn to pass you early or offer to lead :banghead:), great street life, great wow factor, great customer service... great great great great great!

Check out mandhtires.com for the Tflex II

I run the Trak master II up front... decent performance and cheap!

Re: the S12 question earlier... its around the same price as the Tflex (mid to low 60s) I think... BUT it's not DOT. S12 is another great performer in mud... chunks pretty quick in rocks tho.

The TeraFlexII (also known as Terror Flex and The F'ing Tractor Tire) for the rear, and I am running a Kenda Trackmaster II on the front, but I will try something else when it wears out.

Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry, I am real newb. I think I am going with a Terraflex II on the back. It comes in two sizes though, 110/100-18 and 150/90-18. I am guessing the 110 is good? And then on the front I'll put a Pirelli MT21 90/90-21? Will that combination fit and will I be able to drive a few miles on the road every so often?

Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry, I am real newb. I think I am going with a Terraflex II on the back. It comes in two sizes though, 110/100-18 and 150/90-18. I am guessing the 110 is good? And then on the front I'll put a Pirelli MT21 90/90-21? Will that combination fit and will I be able to drive a few miles on the road every so often?

NOOOOO... get the 150 dude... unless you want to less weight for MX or something... the TT II is the 150/90/18.