Riders with back trouble?

Hey guy's first post here.Name is keith located in florida.I have been kicking around getting a new dirtbike latley.My question is how bad is it on your back?probably a stupid question just wondering if anyone has back problems and still ride fine.I had to give up monutain biking (bicycle) due to back trouble,i know the suspension is much better on dirtbikes than bicycles.I still ride street bikes (sportbike) with no trouble and have been for many years.Rode plenty of dirtbikes when i was younger now pushing 40 lol and getting the itch again.Thanks for any insight.

keith

Hey guy's first post here.Name is keith located in florida.I have been kicking around getting a new dirtbike latley.My question is how bad is it on your back?probably a stupid question just wondering if anyone has back problems and still ride fine.I had to give up monutain biking (bicycle) due to back trouble,i know the suspension is much better on dirtbikes than bicycles.I still ride street bikes (sportbike) with no trouble and have been for many years.Rode plenty of dirtbikes when i was younger now pushing 40 lol and getting the itch again.Thanks for any insight.

keith

I have a lil back trouble when i ride. It is a lil sore sometimes. Normaly its from lifting heavy objects.Welcome to TT Keith :banghead:

ya,i have 2 bulged disks,? i just sold my yzf ? ,but picked up a drzsm :banghead: .it all depends how hard you ride or the terrain.you didn't say what was wrong with your back.when you get out there just take it easy don't show off and don't ride for to long(i would go for 3 to5 hours at a time)take breaks to see how your holding up.don't slouch and keep the stomach muscles strong(i think your doc told you that)do the exercises that the doc or chiro or physio told you to do(i didn't and i paid big? )it no fun laying on the ground and can't move because of the :banghead: worst pain i ever felt(sliped disk)and one more thing you might want a bike thats not as powerfull as a 450mx'r.i know that sounds stupid but my yzf had enough snap and shear acceration that sometimes my stomach muscles would let go and my lower back would shift and cause a slip, just a little pain :busted: . anyways stay in shape,take pain meds just before you load your bike that way you can unload it with out the wife knowing your in pain :busted: that what i do.good luck and welcome to TT

btw-i'm getting dirt wheels for my sm,the itch never really went away.it came back the first time i took the drz off road :busted:

Thanks guy's great information.Not planning on crazy mx just trail riding in the woods mainly.Just L5 degenerative disc have had it for several years dont need the pain meds the doc gave me just motrin when it gets to bad at times.The constant jarring from the mountain bike would aggravate it pretty bad.Thanks again and probably will go for it pretty soon.Was looking at an 06 kx 250F.Will keep ya posted if i get it.Thanks again.

keith

I ruptured my L5 disc a few years ago and needed surgery. I thought riding was over, but found out that's not so. The key for me is to stand as much as possible on the bike and let my knees do the work. No suspension will save you if you hit a hard bump sitting down. It turned out that riding actually makes my back feel better, I can only guess it's because it keeps my lower back in constant motion, much like gymnastic exercise. My back is killing me if I ride on the street for an hour, as soon as I hit the dirt, stand up and get moving, it gets better.

Being forced to stand more while riding has actually made me a better and faster rider.

4Takt

I ruptured my L5 disc a few years ago and needed surgery. I thought riding was over, but found out that's not so. The key for me is to stand as much as possible on the bike and let my knees do the work. No suspension will save you if you hit a hard bump sitting down. It turned out that riding actually makes my back feel better, I can only guess it's because it keeps my lower back in constant motion, much like gymnastic exercise. My back is killing me if I ride on the street for an hour, as soon as I hit the dirt, stand up and get moving, it gets better.

Being forced to stand more while riding has actually made me a better and faster rider.

4Takt

ya ,i hear you i chuck garbage for waste management and it acually helped my back.my L4 and L5 are bulged.and when i ride the drz for more than an hour my back hurts(just my back telling me to stand up) :banghead:

Thanks guy's great information.Not planning on crazy mx just trail riding in the woods mainly.Just L5 degenerative disc have had it for several years dont need the pain meds the doc gave me just motrin when it gets to bad at times.The constant jarring from the mountain bike would aggravate it pretty bad.Thanks again and probably will go for it pretty soon.Was looking at an 06 kx 250F.Will keep ya posted if i get it.Thanks again.

keith

kx250f would be just right to start with. :banghead: when i ment pain meds motrin was one of the meds i take but trust me even if your back was fine i would still take the motrin before i got home(its a bitch having to unload your bike after a ride because by the time you get home your muscle tend to cramp up and all you want to do is laydown and rest not put the bike away :banghead:? )

About 10 years ago I compressed one of the lower vertebrae (L4?) I have found that doing stretches daily and staying in shape make all the difference. The better shape I am in the less it hurts. I also go to the chiropractor once a month. I still ride pretty hard when I get the chance. :banghead:

I have a bulging L4-L5 & 2 other degenerative disc. I am being treated to acupuncture, corticosteroid epidural, & good old fashioned drugs. This is why my road bikes don't get much use, but I ride the DR650 every day- to work & everywhere else. The long suspension travel along with the riding position are comfortable & deal with the lousy roads around here just fine. I do have to take it easy when off road riding or I pay the price with interest....

I might as well chime in. I had surgery 3 years ago, I blew the disk between L5 and my Tail bone. The two above that are bulging it sucks. But I love to ride so I just keep riding. No racing, just riding. I did wear a medical lower back support (it goes lower than a kidney belt) for awhile and I just switched to the EVS lower back support, http://www.evs-sports.com/products/product_details.asp?prodID=46 It is just a bit smaller up and down than the medical brace I used but it is exactly the same other than that. The only time I really get pain is when I ride SX or SX style tracks where I am hitting big whoops and seat bounce jumping stuff. Then I regret it for a few days, till it starts to feel better.

This may sound strange but my back feels better (most of the time) when I am riding once or twice a week. I have had compression fractures in my lower back- twice. Luckily I have not needed surgery.

I put on about twenty pounds since my mountain biking days. When I get on the mtb my back starts to ache and spasm like crazy. I think it is the static position, When I ride mx, I am always moving. I am notreal fast and I dont race, but I jump most of the jumps on my local track and do ok. Every once in a while I will jar my back while riding :banghead: But it's bearable.

I have also taken up martial arts. The stretching has increased my mobility and I have a better sense of balance. To be honest I have been injured more from MA than from MX. Take it easy and let pain be your guide.

By far the largest factor is your physical conditioning level. If you are "heavy" for your vertical stature and rarely exercise harder than climbing into your truck, you may have problems trail riding. You mentioned that you rode a mountain bike so I'll go on the primes that the above factors are of extremely limited value. Trail riding should not be a concern under normal conditions. I recommend doing the strengthening and stretching the doc's have recommended to help alleviate problems. Since I too suffer low back pain from time to time I speak from a platform of way too much experience. It seems that when I neglect to do those things that extend the time between back pain episodes, my back reminds me of my folly. So I try to stretch daily, partake in exercise and remember not to over do it. I'm suffering a bit today due to gathering a truck full of firewood. Over all I think that riding helps me because it serves to motivate me to take care of my back.

Wow! Thanks for all the great reply's everyone.Sounds pretty promising for sure.I try to stay in decent shape myself i work on staying flexable which really helps the stiffness in the back the most.I have an eliptical trainer which i love and use 4 to 5 times a week.Will be checking out the kx 250f more this weekend.Thanks again for all the help and information,will keep ya posted on the bike.Thanks again.

keith

Sounds like your getting good advice. I have to chime in on the part about the trail riding making your back feel better.

I had a disc removed almost 20 years ago the old fashioned way. That's where they cut you open, remove a piece off one of your vertebrae to get at the disc, then cut it out with a scalpel. I have also had 3 knee surgeries on my right knee and have no cartilage left.

If I go out and play football with the kids in the back yard for a half hour I can hardly move for the next couple of days from the back and knee pain. I can race a 2 hour hare scramble hard and never have it bother my back or knee. Like others have said, I actually feel better! :banghead::banghead: