Sign in to follow this  

Stoneyford Beginner Questions???

This question is not really for me (you are probably thinking yeah, right!). I was thinking of taking my girlfriend and several other beginners to Stoneyford and was wondering if there is a good beginner loop they can ride. I have been to Stoneyford many times but tend to look for the harder stuff on the map. Can anyone give me a good combo of trail for them to hit?? They are really beginners and not very daring. :banghead:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/mendocino/recreation/ohv/maps/grindstone.pdf

Definately m-10 there are trails like 22 and 20 that parrallel m-10 so if they think they are too hard you can pop back out to the m-10 until they get more confidence.

The main road up the mtn from Davis Flats is good. If they can ride all of #30 that parallels the main road on the lower sections (some steeper sections) then 20 and 22 would be good for them. On the upper end of Trail #30 it gets a little harder. This would be a good test, but if they find it too hard, just follow the roads up. I find that there are sections of #30 (especially when wet) that should be Blue Square. And that some Blue Sqaures at Stonyford should be Black Diamonds(#40). Ride the main road up and hit #30 . Follow #30 over to the main road along Crackerbox. There is parallel trail all along Crackerbox that will help hone their skills. If they don't want to take the side routes they can stay on the main road and end up at same spot. Don't go past where Trail #26 comes in. No good loops for beginners just out and back.

just go to Davis flats and where do you pick up 30? does it come almost right off there?

You cross the street and go through a little kiddy area and at the back of that area you will find the beginning of 30.

Thanks, so far I have only been twice to stoney, and I followed people both times

Get a map at the ranger station in the town of stonyford you will see it on the right as you are heading up the road to Stony...It is right at the intersection on the right. The maps are color coded and very easy to follow except trail 15 it seems to me once I end up on 15 I can never get out... :banghead:

Get a map at the ranger station in the town of stonyford you will see it on the right as you are heading up the road to Stony...It is right at the intersection on the right. The maps are color coded and very easy to follow except trail 15 it seems to me once I end up on 15 I can never get out... :banghead:
We had that same problem when we went there the first time. We were lost on 15, I was the only one to clean that burly top section, on my ttr 225. Everyone else was over heating and off the trail, I just kept it pinned and used my feet like rudders and motored right up.

I think the best bet is to take the road down to the bottom of 15 then rail all the way up.

15 is a trip I can ride all of 15 no problem. Its just that 15 crosses itself like three times i just keep riding in circles till its almost dark and I'm outa gas :banghead:

The trails by Mill Creek are my fav I think they are in the thirtys 38, 36, narrow steep through the trees kinda trails. :banghead:

We had that same problem when we went there the first time. We were lost on 15, I was the only one to clean that burly top section, on my ttr 225. Everyone else was over heating and off the trail, I just kept it pinned and used my feet like rudders and motored right up.

I think the best bet is to take the road down to the bottom of 15 then rail all the way up.

What are you talking about "the only one", I made it, but stopped to help the others stuck in the rut.

Not to mention the 65 yr old dude on the Husaberg that motored past Dave stuck inthe rut while asking "ya'll alright".

You trying to take that away from the old man? :banghead:

If you use your feet like rudders that ain't exactly cleaning it.

It is when your ttr 225 has about 5 inches of ground clearance and you are force to remove your feet for fear of them being crushed. So I should have said I was the only one to make it to the top without stopping.

What are you talking about "the only one", I made it, but stopped to help the others stuck in the rut.

Not to mention the 65 yr old dude on the Husaberg that motored past Dave stuck inthe rut while asking "ya'll alright".

You trying to take that away from the old man? :banghead:

He didn't make it the whole way up, he had to stop and get another run at the top, everyone did but me, I know I was standing there trying to help the rest of you up. :banghead:

I can't be held responsible for what happens behind me. See if you would have been in the front you wouldn't have to deal with the crashers🤣🤣

Hey someone mentioned M10, but isn't that only street legal vehicles? what about that trail 34 that seems to parallel the main road, how is that for kids?

potatoe hill (34)would be OK but really not the greatest The first 2-3 miles are rough. It is really whooped out. M 5 would be the way you would want to go up. It just depends on the kid. Nothing like trying it out and seeing how it goes.

Potato Hill is a great ride. You go from under 2500ft up to 4500ft in a short time. You can feel it getting cooler as you climb. Brush to Pines. It gets steep at the top, but if your not up for it take road 17n12 and there are many logging roads up around Mill Valley Camp Ground and Letts Valley. Definitely get a map. Careful not to go down 32. Letts Ridge is a steep one.

M-5 the way up to goat mtn. is where 22 and 20 are. M-10 is the paved road up to mill valley my bad. Potato hill is good, on a busy weekend it see's alot of traffic. They should have named it armpump hill.