Sign in to follow this  

HELP, I just bought a TM 300MX

I just picked up a 2003 TM 300MX that is brand new and never ridden. I ride mostly enduro and am on a KTM 351 thumper right now and love it. I know nothing about TM bikes but just had to buy this one because it looked too nice to pass up for the money. Now I don't know what to do with it !! Guys I know are drooling over the bike (and so am I) but is this thing going to be good in the tight woods? (thick Northeast rocks and slop). Any ideas on what I should do to covert it to an enduro weapon or should I just re-sell it ???

I have an '03 250 that I ride on trails occasionally (like once a year), It is a bit of a handful in tight stuff for me, but I chalk that up to not being used to it on trails. I mostly ride old school motocross tracks with it. The 300 may be better because of the great low-end of that motor. I just got a 2005 YZF450 that has 2 tanks of gas run through it - want to swap?

Seriously, the TM hass unbelievable suspension - I am assuming you have Ohlins front and rear, as I think everything that came to the US had that setup.

Ride it and enjoy!

Chuck in NY, near Albany

The TM 300 MX is a rocket ship. A 250 on steroids, nothing like the KTM 300.

To Enduro size it is pretty easy. Have the suspension redone by someone that knows Ohlins. (MX TECH or Coppersmith) Get a Flywheel weight, Lighting coil and cover from the E models. Easy bolt on. Skid plates are made for the 250 and bolt right up. You may want to play with the jetting a tad. You can also hunt for the long silencer with S/A from TM or a gas gas may bolt up.

awesome bike. We ran our 125E fro 2 seasons hard and it never failed us. I just sold our 01 125 and I think the 03 125 is on the way out also...

Enjoy

Thanks Bodyman. I think I am going to take your advice and keep it for Enduro. Everyone I speak to seems to think it is an awesome bike and that it is bullet proof.

Thanks again.

one thing to watch out for , the plating on the 300mx cylinder can go , so keep an eye on it . other than that , its a bloody good bike !!

I wouldn't mind adding at two stroke to my 250 four stroke if the price was right. I would love a TM 300 and personally talked to Pete Vetrano the importer in the past, 5+ years ago, regarding the purchase. The trouble is, there are no active dealers in the state of Washington so I have no idea where to get information on the bikes, what the power of the 300 is like, i.e. any over rev, does it hit hard, etc. I don't want a two stroke with a four stroke like powerband as I already have a four stroke but I don't know where to get 1st hand information at this time.

Is TM still alive in the US?

Greg

Is TM still alive in the US?

Greg

See post titled "No 2006 TM in USA?" TM won't go away , I don't think. There are TM stocking delaers, such as Coppersmith and Motoexotica. TM's are still being imported into Canada, via Barker Brothers. And I have heard that someone on the east coast (USA) was also bringing in small quantities of TM stuff. PM me if you really are interested or need help, there is always a way and I have a few contacts.

tm_enduro,

I think the guy you are referring to is Ben Schaeffer in MD. That's who I bought my TM from and he gave me a GREAT deal (it was a leftover). I'm lucky to be in the middle of 2 dealers with another in Tunkhannock PA who carries plenty of parts. The cool part is that I've never needed a "hard" part yet, just misc stuff like filters, jets and a fender and they've had in stock what I needed.

Hate to see that TM isn't bringing in any '06's, what a bummer!

Dale

2000 TM MX 250 here this bike rocks, but parts are a real down on it.