Sign in to follow this  

Installed per DJ instructions

I installed the DJ kit per the DJ instructions (150mj, clip on 2nd slot, 3.5 turns) and cut the 3x3 hole. I guess I was expecting a very noticeable performance increase, but I don't get the feel in the seat of my pants that the bike is truly performing better :banghead: . Was thinking the bike would loft the front wheel off every stop. . . doesn't really do that too much. I modified the stock exhaust with the billet aluminum tip that eliminates the baffle. So not an aftermarket system, but not stock either. I live in Columbus, Ohio at about 1,000 ft.

Any suggestions on deviations from the DJ instructions that will wake my bike up and allow me to more adequately hooliganize the freshman on campus? Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - thanks Burned for the tire advice. . . changed it this afternoon in the parking lot.

well before my bike took a dump earlier my bike pulled alot harder than stock, but i also have a full yosh on it, but i was told to go 4th clip, 150 main, 25 pilot and like 2.5-3 turns on fuel screw, but since you dont have a new pipe i dont know what your settings would be. i would just assume you would notice quit a bit of difference from stock. my friend has an 02 drs400 and all he did was put a bigger main and put a supertrapp end cap on his stock exhaust and i could feel the difference between his bike and my stock drz

Your too fat (too much fuel that is)...try a 140 main and the 4th clip position on the needle, a 25 pilot at about 3 turns out.

Oh...and clean that filthy air filter....or better yet...replace it with a K&N.

Typically people quote from the top. Adjust your Race sag too. I did the pipe, jets, 3x3 and it would loft the front,but when I did the Race sag.. Look out............🤣🤣:banghead::banghead: Whoooooooaaaaa Nellllyyyyyyyy.

they take a bigger main jet with the sm jet kit.

Burned,

have they changed the Needle in the SM kit, have you compared?

Yup, 2nd clip from the top. Did the sag just give you more of a rearward lean? I can power wheelie on my Dakar with a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket. Just wail on the throttle at 3k rpm and the front will come up no matter where I am sitting. On the DRZsm I tried sitting way back and pulling the bars with goosing the throttle to no avail. Wheelies aren't necessary, but I feel like I need to at least be able to wheelie once and a while to justify the nature of owning this bike. Full Yosh will be in the works once I pay off the bike.

they take a bigger main jet with the sm jet kit.

Burned,

have they changed the Needle in the SM kit, have you compared?

yes,its a different needle.

Does this seem like the right setup for my 1000ft elevation and modified stock pipe? Should I think about doing the pilot jet (22.5 to 25) or mess with any of the other options?

Matttys,

I'm at sea level, and had to go to a 155, since the 150 was flat on the top end. I have a K&N filter too. The stock pilot jet caused surging at freeway speeds. I put in a 25 at 2-1/2 turns, and the bike runs much better, and seems to pull a little harder right off the bottom.

From a fast walking speed, clutch out, nailing the throttle will rapidly accelerate the bike, and the front end will climb right up.

Hmm, I don't see surging anywhere in the powerband, I just don't have the feeling that I am getting the full bang for my buck with the 150mj, 22.5 pilot and screw at 3.5 turns. Maybe I will change it up over the weekend and see what happens.

I had installed the DJ kit, cut the 3X3 hole in the top of the airbox and replaced the pilot jet but the bike didn't even run right. Had to play with the jetting for a long time before I could get it to run without burbling. Even then, the bike didn't have much zip and a very soft power delivery. Just installed an FMF Q pipe and it made all the difference. So the DJ/airbox mod is not worth much without some kind of exhaust.

So the DJ/airbox mod is not worth much without some kind of exhaust.

I'm starting to think that too. Bike runs fine overall. Nothing out of ordinary, just not a super strong puller yet. Maybe I can find some extra money and get the pipe soon.