Sign in to follow this  

snowmobike

its going to be snowing here quite soon. me and my buddies know of a snow track system for our bikes that is 1000 dollars canadian. i think it may be worth it becuase it comes with an excel rim, spokes, hub, track, a extensoin off the rear axel to make contact patch bigger, and a attachment for the front tire. my freinds older brother is a mechanic and good welder so he might be maker ours(for me and my friends bike) but my question was does anybody have experience jetting/running the bike in some conditions as low as -20C. thanks :banghead:

well, keep in mind that cooler air is more dense, so more fuel would be needed. I have never jetted a bike for extreme cold, but i would think along those lines if i was.

Tell me about it. The same 600 HO engine thats in the Ski Doo Mxz 600 makes about 120 HP.

ok, back on topic, anybody used a bike with one og these systems attached?

Sorry no, doesnt seem like it would work to well to me. I bet you would spend so much time shifting just to go anywhere it would suck? As far as jetting for the cold, do a search on the web on jetting charts and you will find something that will give you a base line for jetting, something like, add one main jet size for X amount of degrees.

on hard pack they would giver. theres lots of rock hars drifts too. i'd find a way to rip it up. what about the oil and rads, my coolant is good til -45 and below(gauge wouldn't go any colder). should i cover part of my rads with some kind of material, cardboard might even work?

on hard pack they would giver. theres lots of rock hars drifts too. i'd find a way to rip it up. what about the oil and rads, my coolant is good til -45 and below(gauge wouldn't go any colder). should i cover part of my rads with some kind of material, cardboard might even work?

giver? is that canadien slang? I think i heard that acouple times up there in the great white north but kinda shrugged it off as a misunderstanding...

my.02 on that system is that anything made to adapt something made for one thing ie. dirt to something else ie. snow is less capable than something purpose built and ussually a waste of $$$ :banghead:

I was wrong once though... :banghead:

yeah, i was just talking to a memeber named frostbite about this. he has a the track and front ski. i wanted the track till i found out it was a grand. your talking about the one made by kimpex right? here is a link to a thread where he talked in great detail about it https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133116&parentpage=2 i dont remember if he talked about jetting. if he doesn't, PM him. he lives way up there with the eskamos so he would probably know about jetting.

id like to see a magazine shootout between a bike with trelleborg tires, one with a kimpex track and one with that switchblade.

I LOVE THE SNOWHAWKS!! probally the coolest sled out there, haha

I have been playing with the "snowbike" concept since 99. I currently am on my fourth generation of kit, mounted on my KTM 520 MXC. The kits work great and can be viewed on my website. As for the Attrax from Kimpex I would also like to hear from someone who as tried one, curious how well it works.

The higher in elevation the richer the bike runs. The colder the temps, the leaner it runs. Its a balancing act snowmobilers play all the time. A four stroke is not as picky as a two stroke, but a fuel screw adjustment on the 4-s will make it start and run better. Mikuni makes a great jetting guide that can be purchased from most aftermarket suppliers. Simply take your standard jetting, slide the guide for elevation and temp changes, and it will give you the correct adjustment.

Also you can look into a "dial-a-jet" which make on the trail adjustments a snap. Well worth it if you ride large elevation and temp changes in a day.

PM "Frostbite" as he is the man for cold weather riding. I have 1400 miles on the snow the last couple of years, but never in the temp extremes he rides in.

Hope that helps.

SnoXcycle Conversion Kits

If your ridding in that cold of weather, I would almost think of a different weight oil. I run that 20w40 stuff and when it is cold here (15*F) mine gets quite hard to kick. Seems to me that the parts are just cold and the thick oil doesn't help much. If you look in the manual I think there was soemthing about different oil for diff temperatures. regardless, 20w40 in the cold is gonna be hard starting. good luck and watch out for those snow banks, there sneaky!!!

The Switchblade kit by 2moto and/or Revv should release in January. I have heard pricing, but they haven't officialy posted that yet. I spoke to Vernal Forbes, the inventor in Boise last week, and he say's they should be available in mid-January. Because I am a competitor, I will not release the price I was qouted as a perfessional courtesy, as it is subject to change. I have spoke to alot of guys who have rode the "switchblade" and I can tell you most reports were very positive.

Different weight oil for starting is not a bad idea, but keep in mind, just because it is cold outside, your motor doesn't run any cooler. Follow your manufacurers recommendations for cold weather oil.

While we are on the subject of snowbikes, what do you feel a fair price for a kit would be?

Tim

www.snoxcycle.com

man, i KNEW i should have patented that idea the day i thought it up because school was cancelled on acount of snow. I built one for my mountian bike and later built one for my old XL. Mine is a "quick change" set up and the whole deal only cost me about 10 bucks. whered i put those pics.....