Sign in to follow this  

Place to ride for beginners in Utah.

Looking for some good 'trails' to ride on as a beginner. So far, it looks like all ATV trails would be easy, considering the width of the track. I'm not comfortable with riding on mountain cliffs w/ soft sand/rocks, so I was wondering if you knew what places would be great for people to learn to ride on. I grew up on 4-wheelers, now it's time to venture out on Motorcycles.

Also, the only pictures I have seen of American Fork Canyon are atv type trails... is that all it is or do they go into single track and require a more advanced skill level?

thanks

Uh, it would help to know where you're located at.

5-Mile Pass is a good place for starters.

AF Canyon is OK for beginners so long as you stick to the roads. The single

track in AF Canyon is technical and even more so when wet...

Delle is a great place for beginners. But not if it is wet - it is very sticky, goey mud.

5 Mile Pass is probably the most popular. There are places where you can get in to trouble if you aren't careful, but it is mostly pretty good for beginners. It can get crowded on weekends and holidays, so be careful to avoid collisions.

Both of those places are about 1 hour out of SLC.

Knolls has good variety with sand, mud flats (fun when dry), and dirt trails. It is 1.5 hours west of SLC. It will soon be a fee area.

Soapstone is about 1 hour east of SLC. There are plenty of jeep roads that are easy and scenic. It is high elevation, so it is probably covered in snow now.

The main dirt road in American Fork Canyon up past Tibble Fork is easy, but fairly rocky and rough. The side roads tend to be very rocky. The single track are pretty advanced but a lot more fun than the roads.

Taylor Fork/Cedar Hollow is just past Kamas. It is fairly rocky, but doable. Not that fun in my opinion.

Down south there are plenty of opportunties:

- The Paunsaguant Trail near Bryce Canyon (fairly high elevation).

- Some trails in the San Rafael Swell.

- Some trails around Moab.

- Caineville.

- Parts of the Paiute Trail.

Do some internet research - there is a fair amount of data out there but you have to dig for it.

Thanks, FamilyRider, that's some great information. It looks like 5 mile would be a good place for me to learn how to properly jump, wheelies, and all that other 'fun' stuff to make my mother scream.

N7SLC, I live in Ogden, work in downtown SLC. My cuz just moved down by AF canyon and is thinking of buying another motorcycle. He's never been up that canyon before, so it'll be good to know that I can go down there one weekend and we can go riding without me killing myself.

Thanks, FamilyRider, that's some great information. It looks like 5 mile would be a good place for me to learn how to properly jump, wheelies, and all that other 'fun' stuff to make my mother scream.

N7SLC, I live in Ogden, work in downtown SLC. My cuz just moved down by AF canyon and is thinking of buying another motorcycle. He's never been up that canyon before, so it'll be good to know that I can go down there one weekend and we can go riding without me killing myself.

Very good...better hurry and ride AF before it's covered in snow. It's already

VERY cold in the evenings...

I live in Ogden and work in Salt Lake as well. You can check out my write up regarding Skyline Trail on www.motoutah.com (check the Trails section). That is probably the closest trail to you. It would rate it as an intermediate trail, depending on where you're starting from.

If you want to just get some seat time on fairly easy terrain you could go to Mantua and park and ride up the dirt road to Willard Basin. This is just a jeep road and is popular with ATV's. It is pretty rocky in places but nothing difficult. My kids can ride it.

Knolls or Delle would be by next suggestions, especially if you're coming from the north. Knolls is about 120 miles from the Ogden area and Delle is about 90 miles. I would go to either of these two places before I would go to Five Mile Pass. It will take you just as long or longer to get to Five Mile Pass from the Ogden area so you might as well stay on the freeway and do 80mph all the way out to the west desert.

You can also go up and ride plenty of dirt roads and jeep roads in the Monte Cristo area (east of upper Ogden Valley), or you can do the same up Logan Canyon. All of the snow is melted again, but it's only a matter of time before those areas are snowed in.

Oh yeah...one other close option for you if you just want to get out and get some seat time is to go up Farmington Canyon and ride Skyline Drive, or down by the "B" in Bountiful.