New CRF450X

I decide to add a 450X to the stable since I was able to get it plated from the dealership and with the closeout pricing I just couldn't help myself. Took it out for the first ride on Sunday and now I am deciding what is next to set it up right. Some thoughts.........

It looks like a toy in comparison to the 650R. Everything on the BRP is built much sturdier and thus the added weight. All of the bolts and fasteners are much smaller and lighter on the 450 and after loading it up in the truck it feels like a feather compared to the pig.

It sure feels really light and much easier to ride fast in the tight stuff. The suspension needs to be set up but my BRP is a Cadillac in comparison right now.

The happy button is just that. I shut if off many times during the first 20 miles just so I could hit the button again :banghead:

Power is really good for a plugged up bike. It hits harder and spins the wheel more when it comes on so I am hoping that jetting and uncorking will smooth it out but nothing has the big block torque of the BRP. If I could have the 650 motor in the 450 frame, with the 450 weight I would have the perfect bike.

Did I mention I love the button :banghead:

Ergos are great and now that I'm getting use to the style it is starting to make the pig look a little dated.

If I could only have one and had to choose I would have a real hard time........

Congrats!!

All you need now is a bright RED aloha shirt & you'd be all set!?

Good luck with your new bike, we'll see ya'll up at Cow this winter?? :banghead:

I'll keep my eye open for you since I plan on getting up there lots this year. If you still got the Hawaiian jersey you will be easy to spot :banghead:

I decide to add a 450X to the stable since I was able to get it plated from the dealership ..

How did you get your plate from the dealer? I have heard of a couple of people doing this and I cant get a dealer to do it for me.

I would would appreciate some input, thank you.

The dealer has to be willing to run it through as a street bike when they do the DMV. I would imagine they are at some risk if they are where to just do it for john Q public. I had to "promise" to put a kit on it if I was to take it out on the road. I also doesn't hurt to know the sales manager :banghead:

I have a CRF and XR650 and wish I could combine the two. The CRF is my idea of the perfect bike but I've gotten into more multi day 800-1000 mile rides and the CRF needs too much maintenance. The CRF can't go half that far without three oil changes and a valve check, plus I would have to freshen up the motor every season. The XR is like a car and I can rack up the miles without worry.

I If you think about it, the XR motor weighs 20-25 lbs more, so even if you took a 450X and stuck a 650 motor in it, you're still probably at 280+ which is way heavier than say a KTM525!

You want big block power, you get big block weight. Sure makes it tough for us 150 lb. lightweights.