Sign in to follow this  

Ever had electric start Probs?

Hi, im a newb, about to buy another bike,i owned and XR400 earlier,but after reading TT decided to go for a DRZ. My XR was a simple bike, didnt seem like much could go wrong with it.

On the DRZ How well does the electric start work, heard heaps of people say how good they are, has anyone had major problems with it?would it be worth putting additional kickstarter on? Does anyone know what the kick start kit weighs? Has anyone else had any major electrical problems,how reliable are they?

I have been searching the archives but this is information a cant seem to find a alot of.

Thanks for any info

Anf :banghead:

it works great, but you have to take care of the battery. that is as easy as plugging it into a "battery tender" when you aren't riding it. I installed a kick start kit (easy also) because sometimes I am many many miles from anywhere and it's cheap insurance. the bike is aready a fat girl, an extra kick starter's weight doesn't really mean anything to me.

Theres probably about as much chance of your kick starter falling off, as the electric start not working. :banghead:

Put the battery on the tender if it isn't in use regularly. I stick mine on if it sits more than 2 weeks but that doesn't happen often. It's a 2001 left over so the battery has been in use since Jan 2002 no issues. :banghead:

Great, thanks for the info.

When i have the funds i will definately be getting the drz (soon)

Cheers

The E-start works great...almost all of the time.

That being said, my starter solenoid did poop out on me during a race this season.

Knowing you've got no way to start your bike will definately change the way you ride.

I was able to get it refired by bump starting it. I could have also shorted the terminals across the solenoid, but I didn't want to take the time to remove the plastic.

Having a kicker would be nice at times.

I have only once had a time when my bike would not fire off from the battery and that was my fault for messing around with cdi's until I ran the battery down too low for even the stock cdi to start it. And I'm running 13.5 compression ratio piston.

I did install the kick starter though but for one main reason,,,,rekluse autoclutch. With no way to bump start the bike I had no alternative to add the kick starter just so I'd have one back up to the electric leg.

I took mine to the dunes and got sand in the kill switch... so I did the natural thing and took it apart to clean it. Only problem is, I broke one of the four black clips holding the metal connector piece in, so it had problems with sticking when I pushed the red button.

Now the wires are tied together and I have no kill switch. I was looking at some rocker switches from an online motorcycle shop, but I never received a reply on what the dimension are for it. The electric start has never failed me before, but I hate not being able to push/bump start it, that really scares me that I don't have a failsafe second way of starting it if the e-start doesn't work.