Sign in to follow this  

weekend soon, bike not running

I was hoping I could get some trouble shooting advice. This is what happend, I was riding with my son and after about 2 hours, his ttr 125 suddenly died. I had to kick it many times really fast and much harder than normal to get it to start. Once it ran it would only stay running on throttle at high revs then die. I changed the plug because its cheap to do, but it didn't help. The fuel is new, from the same pump I get fuel for my bike (93 octane).

Any ideas on were to start? I was thinking about taking the carb apart and soaking it, but for some reason I have a feeling it electrical.

He really wants to go riding this weekend, any thoughts?

Start with the easiest stuff: fuel supply; air supply; exhaust; all the pieces where they should be? no leaks? flush the carb out; look for dirt in the jets. use the KISS principle; save yourself unneeded work that way.

Paul

Start with the easiest stuff: fuel supply; air supply; exhaust; all the pieces where they should be? no leaks? flush the carb out; look for dirt in the jets. use the KISS principle; save yourself unneeded work that way.

Paul

very true start simple :banghead: when my bike wouldnt start I cleaned all of the carb got stock jets cleaned airfileter/airbox took off exhaust to check for any clogs changed gas after tryin old with stabil and other gas cleaners and it wound up being my plug he moral is start simple and quick little tricks

I was hoping I could get some trouble shooting advice. This is what happend, I was riding with my son and after about 2 hours, his ttr 125 suddenly died. I had to kick it many times really fast and much harder than normal to get it to start. Once it ran it would only stay running on throttle at high revs then die. I changed the plug because its cheap to do, but it didn't help. The fuel is new, from the same pump I get fuel for my bike (93 octane).

Any ideas on were to start? I was thinking about taking the carb apart and soaking it, but for some reason I have a feeling it electrical.

He really wants to go riding this weekend, any thoughts?

If it only runs at high revs your using your main jet so it might be a clogged pilot. I think it may be electrical. Take all the plastics off the tank and follow every wire and see if there are any loose connections.

If it only runs at high revs your using your main jet so it might be a clogged pilot. I think it may be electrical. Take all the plastics off the tank and follow every wire and see if there are any loose connections.

sounds right about the jets :banghead:

Update. I looked over the wires and found no problems but I did notice I small amount of rust on the coil mount so I cleaned that. I took the carb off and blew compressed air through the main and pilot jets. After reassembly I tried to start it again. Just about the time the battery was going dead it started. After some coaxing to keep it going it stated running as usual.

I found a jet kit for the bike with a 17.5 pilot and a 110 main for $19. I was thinking if I do the air box mod and pull the cap off the pipe it might work in our low altitude here in Florida. 110 seems really big, but we ride at around 50' above see level, and if its opened up at both ends, I think it might work.

I am thinking if I do this I may need and ignition upgrade to keep up the bigger fuel air mixture. Any thoughts on an inexpensive way to get a better spark? I guess I could just open the plug gap a bit. The spark seems a little weak to me now even with the new plug, its most likely operating normal, but I don't think it could keep up with the 110 main.

I have the 17.5/110 combo in ours and it runs great. I just did the airbox mod and the washer mod to the exhaust - no ignition modding at all - and it runs great. Don't forget things are finally starting to cool off here too. When we get into the 70's it's really going to enjoy that 110. I may even have to go 112.5 on it.

It really all just depends on how it runs as to what jets you put in. But I live in FL too and the 110 works great.

Iridium plug. Much hotter spark.

Not sure I spelled it right though :banghead:

don't expand the gap on the plug. that would do nothing

also, use just regular pump fuel instead of 93. ttr125's don't run complression high enough to need to high octane fuel unless you have done something to bump compression. all you are really doing is spending more money than you need to. try the regular, if that doesn't work then try mid grade.

It could be that it has dirt in the carb. My old yammie used to do that untill I cleaned the carb out.

:banghead: