Sign in to follow this  

Wrong cranks?????? HELP PLEASE!

Hey guys. Well, remember how I siezed the bike a month and a half ago? Well, the bike is STILL at the shop. They cannot seem to get the correct crank. Everything else is the same on the size, just the thread size is a 14mm (or so) instead of the 12mm (or so) that is on the bike. It's really pissing me off because they've gone through 5 cranks, all wrong, and I've been out of a bike.

So does anyone know if yamaha changed the design and I have to get a new stator, or what?

-Phill

looks the same for the first 2 years and i'm not 100% sure if the N-U-X has any significance or not.

01 5NL-11400-00-00 CRANKSHAFT ASSY

02 5NL-11400-00-00 CRANKSHAFT ASSY

03 5UL-11400-00-00 5XC-11400-00-00

04 5XD-11400-00-00 CRANKSHAFT ASSY

I don't understand what the problem is....it should ba as simple as looking it up and ordering it. I would call the OEM Thumpertalk store. 1-630-388-9399

Hey guys. Well, remember how I siezed the bike a month and a half ago? Well, the bike is STILL at the shop. They cannot seem to get the correct crank. Everything else is the same on the size, just the thread size is a 14mm (or so) instead of the 12mm (or so) that is on the bike. It's really pissing me off because they've gone through 5 cranks, all wrong, and I've been out of a bike.

So does anyone know if yamaha changed the design and I have to get a new stator, or what?

-Phill

Something just doesn't make sense with this story. Different "thread size" (I am assuming the flywheel end of the crank)That sounds like a load of BS to me. Yamaha is excellent as far as correct parts replacement. Your shop has ordered FIVE different cranks, and still can't get it right???? Find another dealer they are donkeys. I ordered a crank assembly for my buddies '02 YZF, and no problems whatsoever.

Phil is my brother. I think that the shop was using the part number for a 03 when he told them many times that his bike is an 01. The part number is 5UL for an 03 and a 5NL for an 01,02. They seem to keep ordering a 5UL. IDIOTS.

NEL

The thread size of what? They could correct that with a different fastener. What are we not hearing here?

The diameter of the threaded end of the crank (what receives the stator) seems to be a different dia than on the 01,02 cranks.

-NEL

Gray, the problem could not be solved since the stator would not fit over the thread. To better clairify what thread I mean, I am taking about the thread that you use to crank over the engine to get it to tdc.

But Nel did crack the case. I called up Woodland Cycle today and cross refrenced the part numbers. The 5NL is for the 01 and 02. The 5UL (Which they are in fact ordering time and time again) is for the 03.

Looks like the U and the N does make a difference. But it doesn't make any sense to me because when I did order the parts I asked them to double check and make sure they were for a 01 YZ250F. They said it would fit. Service department is now handling the orders, but still ordering the 5UL. They have my VIN (which would give the year) I have told them many times that it is a 01. I called them up today and told them to quit ordering a crnak for a 03 because it will get them no where, they need to order a part for a 01, NOT a 03. They said, well, I'd have to look that up, it may take a while. After saying, well, overnight this part number, it is the crank for the 01. Gave them the part numebr and the new crnak is on its way.

For the future I will stay away form this shop. I recomend you guys do as well. East Bay Motorsports. Their prices are rediculous as well. 120 bucks for a 110 MS3, while cycle gear a mile or so away is 70. Why the 50 dollar markup?

Thanks again guys.

-Phill

Looks like the U and the N does make a difference.
Yes, it makes it a different part, although how different, and what the difference is is not always apparent.

Yamaha uses a "basic number" parts system in which each part number has a basic number at it's core that will tell an experienced parts guy what kind of part it is and quite possibly what bike it's for without even looking it up. Your crank is a 5NL-11400-00-00. All 11400's are crankshafts. The 5NL is the model-specific prefix which it looks like may simply be assigned arbitrarily. In Ford's system, the prefix gives the model year and car line according to a code. Anyway, a 5NL is an '01 YZ250F. 5UL is an '03. The two sets of 0's are used to indicate minor revisions, or a left and a right, or different sizes. So, a good parts guy should have been looking for a 5NL-11400-** to start with.

I know for sure that there are a lot of '01 parts still in use on the '05, but a lot of them don't fit. Why they keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is beyond me. Even if their in-house part computer is calling up the wrong DB for the '01, they should have figured it out by now. Occasionally, manufacturer's parts systems will do an automatic supercession on something without telling the dealer, even when there is a dependency like the flywheel is here. (GM does this sometimes, but they usually note it in the catalog and sell the interdependent part with the first one as a kit.)

Now the problem with the thread sizes makes more sense. I've actually seen problems like that before, but not often.

Yeah, but I think its a big problem when they try 5 times for a crank that is for a 01, not a 03. :banghead:

All I hope is that I get back on the bike. The motor has been int here too loing and I havent been able to throw my leg over the bike.