Sign in to follow this  

XR250 won't start

I was riding in a field the other day and my bike bogged down and died like it was out of gas. We had to pick it up with a truck in the middle of a field. I dont know what is wrong with it. I started it and it bogged down and died again. I started it the other day and got about 500 feet. It bogged down and died. I am from Illinois and the guy that put together the engine told me that it could be the gas from motomart or caseys. i think I was running motomart gas. He said it gums up the valves so they cant seal. It didnt have any compression and I played with my manual dec lever and I started it the other night. I guess it unstuck on of the valves. I rode it around for about 10 minutes and put it up. I went to start it the next day. I start it and it bogs down again.

I think my carbeurator could be clogged I HAVE NOT CLEANED IT

It could be the gas.

I cleaned my airfilter.

I removed gas tank and cleaned it out totally with water and let it dry out overnight

I thought it could have been the spark plug in the first place. I changed it. That was not the problem.

I cant get it to start at all now.

THE the only thing that I have not done is taken the carbeurator totally apart and cleaned it. :banghead:

I am not looking forward to It but I am hoping that the carbeurator is clogged. I not I have no idea what it could be.

I cleaned the tank. Put fresh BP 93 octane in it. I cleaned my KN airfilter. I went to start it and it showed no sign of firing.

maybe an obstruction in the fuel line??.....had a buddy with a new 4 wheeler that would bogg down and die, turns out we found plastic shavings in the fuel petcock below the tank....I guess if it was sitting, enough fuel could migrate to fill up the bowl in the carb, but once it began running it didnt have the volume to keep it running....just something simple to check!!

That and a plugged tank vent line will do the same thing, not enough gas to run but after sitting it will re-fill the bowl.

I just thought of something else, have you been riding in mud lately? If you have check the vent lines from the carb that hang down, they could be clogged.

I removed gas tank and cleaned it out totally with water and let it dry out overnight

You almost undoubtedly have water in your gas.

There is no way the tank could be dry from a water wash, "overnight". The saddlebag style XR tank could take a week, or more, to dry out completely. It could take 2 weeks to dry out the deepest recesses of the lobes. Heck, it takes several days to dry out a common water jug from camping much less a complicated shape like the XR tank. I would not recommend cleaning a MC fuel tank interior with water.

Thats alot of information and I will check everything. I know for a fact that the gas vent isnt clogged. I tryed starting it without it on anyway. I am pretty sure I have spark but I will check. I think that my tank was dry it had a tiny bit of water in it the night before about at most a couple of drops. I know that the fuel line connection the gas tank to the carb is not clogged. I blew it out with air.

I am going to take apart my carb tomorrow and clean it with carb cleaner. I will try to check the spark also. If that isnt the problems I have no Idea what else it could be.

I dont think that my valves are tight since it only has around 200 miles since the 280 and hotcam and timing chain and harder intake valves install. They were adjusted while it was apart.

I's stop jacking with it and bring it back to the guy that just put your motor together and tell him to fix the problem. If it something like crappy gas that gunked everything up, then pay the man for his extra time in cleaning your carb and stuff, but ask to see the proof first. If it wasn't your fault, and it was something that he did, well, he ought to fix it. Just my thoughts.

When you want to flush the tank, don't use water, use mineral spirits or the like.

Take the plug out of the bottom of the carb bowl, being careful not to dump its contents out and look for water bubbles in the bottom of it. Or put a glass jar under your drain lines and open the bowl drain screw and petcock and let it run for a minute and check the bottom of the jar for water bubbles.