Sign in to follow this  

Good kx250f reliability stories?

Hello, if you have owned any year kxf or rmz and you believe that it IS reliable and HAS held up extremely well, please tell us your story and your tips if you have any. Maybe you feel that your bike should have blown up, but hasn't yet. Who has gone the longest without a top end, and hasn't had a problem? I wonder if there are as many good storied as bad ones, I hope so!

i dont have much of a story but my 05' has been running perfect ever since day 1....i bought it at the end of february so its about 8 months old, i change the oil every 2 rides, put a stainless steel re-usable oil filter in and clean it every oil change too, and keep that air filter clean as possible... but i am very picky and take care of my bike like it is my first born child and when i ride i make sure i NEVER ride on the rev-limiter so maybe thats why the valves have been good to me.....overall i wouldnt trade this bike for anything....

Ive had my 06 for over a month now with lots of hours on it already. practice 2-3 times a week and race on weekends. Still runs like brand new.

I bought mine when it was a year old (its an 04) and and rode it hard (i have a tendency to break bikes) for over a year and it just had its first major failure, a siezed big end of the rod. That is friggen amazing in my book. If I didnt do a crank bi yearly on my 2 stroke they would get ruined. I have replaced the valves and piston once before the crank went bad. I broke my frame in a crash and have had the shock and fork seals go though.

I've got an 04 that I've had for over two years! All I have done to it is keep up on the oil, filter, and air filter maintanence and I'm still on ALL the stock equipment. I've kept an eye on the valves and they havn't moved! I'd say that's a success story!

:banghead: I owned an early release 04.....Did all the little overheating fixes and no problems. Now we have 2 05's. The one my brother races went about 50 hours before needing a valve adjustment then got one more race in before the valves went. No complaints though, he races in the +25A and +30A classes as one of only 2- 250f's on an all 450 gate. To be able to run in the top five in those classes with big bikes is a positive note on the bikes endurance. you must run the hell out of it to stay up with the big boys and I think the key is not running it on the rev limiter. Now with a fresh VPE motor it must go to make room for the 06 250f and 450f. Selling 2 -05's, 1 never ridden(new) and 1 totally trick w /fresh motor. If in need of bikes let me know. contact mvss4@aol.com :banghead:

We've had two 04's, one 05, and one 06.🤣 The first 04 we ran a year and half before doing a top end. the other 04 after a year we overbored it to a 262cc to run in the 250C class which my son ran at Loretta's this year. All four have been very reliable. My son rode C class in 04 and qualifiers in 05 and made it to the dance. :banghead: He now rides B and doing well. He absolutely loves the 06. First ride he said "Dad this thing is a rocket". He says its faster than the 262cc mod bike. Regular oil and filter changes, keep an eye on valve clearance, ride the snot out of em. :banghead:

Mines done 60-70 hours completely stock, still all in spec. And i ride it relatively hard. but maintain it well.

04 RMZ250 with lots of hard trail/fire road riding. Installed oversized rads and that's it. Valves are still very much so in spec.

06 KX250F that I wouldn't trade for the world.

I ride my 4-strokes like they should be. In the torque. I think I've only hit the rev limiter once.

I'll keep these bikes forever.

Joe

I have had my 05 for a while now and ride quite a bit 2-3 times per week and have had no problems. At 10 hrs i had to re shim the left intake valve and now at like 45 hrs it hasn't moved at all. As far as maintnace, i bought a stainless reusable filter and change the oil after about 3 - 5 hrs depending how hard i was riding. I check the air filter after every ride but unless it was dusty out i usually keep it in for two rides. I think the biggest thing is to ride the bike right by not hitting the rev limiter. Since i have the stock pipe on it, the power drops off in the upper RPM's so i rarley hit the limiter, maybe once or twice. THey are awsome bikes, I'm sure the new KXF's are great too!

Have a 04 and a 05 kx250f either one has ever had any problems. The 04 sits alot more since we got the 05 (a much better bike) Check the valves and change the oil every two rides.I have not even had to shim the 05 yet after 50 + hours on the stock motor. Just ordered all the parts for a full engine rebuild as we are going to keep it for 06. My son races 125c and schoolboy here in NM.

I'm glad to see a positive thread on Thumpertalk! When someone has a problem with their bike, they always seem to make a big stink about it. You never seem to hear from the guys that have no problems.

Here are the facts:

-'04 had some recalls early on = bad press

-Guys that got off of the 125's tended to rev the 250f too much

-The '04 had maginal capacity radiators, which let to coolant overflow at slow speeds. '05 and '06 are larger.

-'04 valve seats were made of harder material than the '05-06. This led to most of the valve problems early on

-'05 and '06 ignition softens the power right before it hits the rev limiter. This helps the idiots out there that don't know when to shift.

-The '06 KX250F will be the best 250F this year!!! Trust me.

-'05 and '06 ignition softens the power right before it hits the rev limiter. This helps the idiots out there that don't know when to shift.

Acutally, the 04 had the "soft" limiter. The 05(06 is the same) went to a "hard" limiter because pros were complaining of bad top end power.

Acutally, the 04 had the "soft" limiter. The 05(06 is the same) went to a "hard" limiter because pros were complaining of bad top end power.

Actually, from '04 to '05/06 they added a "duty misfire control" to the rev limiter. This adds a slight misfire right before the limiter kicks in. This softens the rev limiter, so it doesn't feel like an abrupt loss of power when it hits the rev limiter. They did this for better durability, which also allowed them to increase the top end power of the motor.

Actually, from '04 to '05/06 they added a "duty misfire control" to the rev limiter. This adds a slight misfire right before the limiter kicks in. This softens the rev limiter, so it doesn't feel like an abrupt loss of power when it hits the rev limiter. They did this for better durability, which also allowed them to increase the top end power of the motor.

You sure about that??? I could swear the 04's had the soft and the 05's had the hard.