Sign in to follow this  

motoverte enduro shootout

I stole this from another website, but is interesting.

"The only exception for whatever reason was the absence of TM Moto and VOR. (I`m sure the TM would`ve scored quite highly.) The results are as follows....

According to Moto Verte Magazine(mainstream French circulation)

1.Gas Gas 250EC

2. Sherco 4.5i (KTM engine;injected)

3. Gas Gas 300EC

4. KTM 450 EXC-R

5. KTM 125EXC

6. Beta 400R (KTM engine)

7. Honda HM 250 CRE-X

8. Honda HM 250 CRE-R

9. Husqvarna 250 TE

10.Husaberg 450 FEE

11.Beta 525 RR (KTM engine)

12.Yamaha 250 WR-F

13. Husqvarna 450 TE

14. Husaberg 550 FEE

15. Yamaha 450 WR-F"

Cool! Did they say why they rated the Sherco #2?

I am really not up on French publications.

Of course they rated the Sherco very high, because it's............. a French bike :banghead: (French people being patriotic.................mmmwwwaaaoooohhh)

They've tested some TM's a couple of years ago, and from about 15 bikes the TM was rated about ......... last 🤣 (not enough bottom power, very on/off character, to much high-end power :banghead: steering in tight corners not to well). The most ideal bike for most Frenchies is a twostroke 200 cc. I guess the reasons why are :

- Surface (hard packed/rocks) of most of the French tracks (luckily over here in Holland we have lots of sandy tracks)

- Most French drivers are about five feet high and five inches wide 🤣

I think the French TM-importer doesn't supply testbikes any longer because he gets bored of the negative test-results in MV

I have a recent version of MotoVerte testing the KTM 450 EX/C against the Sherco 4.5i.....the KTM got the nod overall for the best package..(if you trust magazine reports...take them with a few grains of salt...etc.) citing them just about dead even except in "motor managability", where the KTM outscored the Sherco by a bit...overall, they said the bikes were comparable..equally able to get the job done with no problems. Just a matter of style and execution...

Are the TM thumpers still a bit heavy (530 fse was 275 lbs dry?)...I really like their Ohlins suspension !

I think all the bikes are perfectly good these days...just pick your flavor.

A good rider can win on any of them with a little tweaking...

It is worth noting that the likely score came from results on French grass track tests, which as it was pointed out, tend to be fast and slick. Also worth note is that it appears that each brand was only allowed to submit two bikes, GasGas submitted 2T's, and Husky submitted 4T's. GasGas sells tons of ec250 and ec300 in France. Husky likely would have moved up the ladder had they provided their extremely effective (and favorites of the French) WR125 and WR250.

The shootout shows that classifying a winner is really just splitting hairs.

One final note: Notice how no matter who tests / rides the bikes, the KTM exc450 is ALWAYS near the top, that says something, doesn't it!

1.Gas Gas 250EC

3. Gas Gas 300EC......

By the way: The Sherco doesn´t have a KTM engine , they produce their own. It looks very similar to the EXC engine.

Twin

One final note: Notice how no matter who tests / rides the bikes, the KTM exc450 is ALWAYS near the top, that says something, doesn't it!

Yeah.....They've Got HUGH Wallets To Grease The Palms Of These Magazines :banghead:

Of course they rated the Sherco very high, because it's............. a French bike :banghead: (French people being patriotic.................mmmwwwaaaoooohhh)

They've tested some TM's a couple of years ago, and from about 15 bikes the TM was rated about ......... last 🤣 (not enough bottom power, very on/off character, to much high-end power :banghead: steering in tight corners not to well). The most ideal bike for most Frenchies is a twostroke 200 cc. I guess the reasons why are :

- Surface (hard packed/rocks) of most of the French tracks (luckily over here in Holland we have lots of sandy tracks)

- Most French drivers are about five feet high and five inches wide 🤣

I think the French TM-importer doesn't supply testbikes any longer because he gets bored of the negative test-results in MV

I've had the same thinkimg

I stole this from another website, but is interesting.

"The only exception for whatever reason was the absence of TM Moto and VOR. (I`m sure the TM would`ve scored quite highly.) The results are as follows....

1.Gas Gas 250EC

3. Gas Gas 300EC

4. KTM 450 EXC-R

5. KTM 125EXC

6. Beta 400R (KTM engine)

7. Honda HM 250 CRE-X

8. Honda HM 250 CRE-R

9. Husqvarna 250 TE

10.Husaberg 450 FEE

11.Beta 525 RR (KTM engine)

12.Yamaha 250 WR-F

13. Husqvarna 450 TE

14. Husaberg 550 FEE

15. Yamaha 450 WR-F"

I'm sure some of you guys know what I think of mag tests and even though GG rated high on that one I still say ...B.S. Also, where is the supposedly mighty KTM300 and 250?

I think the test is on the mark regarding GG being in the top 3. I rode the '05 400 KTMe for the first 3 enduro's this year and sold it for a GG 300. Last month I bought the 450 KTMe, 1 race and I put it up - the GG are soooo much easier to ride! :banghead:

GAS GAS may not make the best bike for all riders and the best bike for all conditions. But I know it's best for me and that's what counts. If you haven't rode a newer one, you are really missing out.They are super reliable well thought out woods weapons. Bikes today are so close in performance that the only things that matter is that it can take a beating and you can make it rail! If you can do this you will win every event regardless of bike brand. So try not to read to much into a magazine ranking. Just use it as ball park figure because we are all individuals that have different riding styles. If I had went with what is usually said to be the best off road brand, I would have a bike now that doesn't suit me well. If everyone rode what works best for them and not what the magazines claim to be the best, I probably wouldn't be in the minority of GAS GAS riders in Washington, racing in a sea of orange. :banghead:

GAS GAS may not make the best bike for all riders and the best bike for all conditions. But I know it's best for me and that's what counts. If you haven't rode a newer one, you are really missing out.They are super reliable well thought out woods weapons. Bikes today are so close in performance that the only things that matter is that it can take a beating and you can make it rail! If you can do this you will win every event regardless of bike brand. So try not to read to much into a magazine ranking. Just use it as ball park figure because we are all individuals that have different riding styles. If I had went with what is usually said to be the best off road brand, I would have a bike now that doesn't suit me well. If everyone rode what works best for them and not what the magazines claim to be the best, I probably wouldn't be in the minority of GAS GAS riders in Washington, racing in a sea of orange. :banghead:

Very well said, it's sad that very few riders understand this. It's funny how you never see BIG 5 riders explaing this, they are usually bragging about there bike being the best and other bikes suck. More proof that they are proud that they own a bike that was rated best in a biased mag without actually finding out which bike was best for them. I see these guys on the track and trail all the time and they are going the same basic speed as they were on there old bike. Fitting in is desperate and sad.

Fitting in is desperate and sad.

Hey Gilkerson, I like the way you summed that all up! :banghead:

Fitting in is desperate and sad.

Seems like us "rare" bike owners are the only ones who think about these things, a lot of the "popular" bike owners just mindlessly spurt off at the mouth with not much thought, kind of like when they bought there bike...lol.

Seems like us "rare" bike owners are the only ones who think about these things, a lot of the "popular" bike owners just mindlessly spurt off at the mouth with not much thought, kind of like when they bought there bike...lol.

And alot of exotic owners become Don Quixote defending their unique bikes! You know what, most every bike made nowdays is a good solid bike, some just excel at areas that others don't.

And alot of exotic owners become Don Quixote defending their unique bikes! You know what, most every bike made nowdays is a good solid bike, some just excel at areas that others don't.

So true.

Aw come on guys, remember when the magazines were giving good grades to the Cannondales and some even named it bike of the year while it was not even sold yet?

A few corrections:

The French are not all 5 foot tall. They're half way between the Italians and the Germans, closer to 5'8 but most are really not fat. I'm French myself and am 6ft tall, 225 lbs (maybe because I am a Fleming, not your regular Gallo-Romanic Frenchman).

Sherco is not really French. The company is based in Spain and was founded by a French trial champion on the ruins of Bultaco. The Enduro models are assembled in Nimes (where the "DeNim" name comes from) in the South of France. So they're French and then they're not.

The idea of the French being ultra-nationalist is very wrong. Actually, the French tend to be self-critic, and very much so. Very few people will give high grades to French products, especially cars, if they are not deserved. Although they buy them to support their industry, Renault, Peugeot and Citroen have a reputation of being "junk cars" (while the Germans have a higher opinion of the French cars, for a reason I still can't explain).

For these reasons, I don't think MV is as biased towards Sherco as you may think. If it was junk, they'd tell you.

The engine is not KTM but KTM-inspired, that is true. They obviously applied reversed engineering and there is nothing wrong in doing that. The end-user can only benefit from someone who acts as a pupil with the intent of becoming the master.

If the bikes are good and the market is well responsive, then we should see Sherco remain in business for a long time.

Note that they are not going after KTM's full market: no 200 or 300 2-stroke enduro bikes in project. They seem to really want to go full force in the 4-stroke thing and are even producing 4-stroke trials bike.

Aw come on guys, remember when the magazines were giving good grades to the Cannondales and some even named it bike of the year while it was not even sold yet?

OK, it seems you were trying to put a twist on this understanding but it shows even more loss of credibility on the mags. If I remember, I don't think even the mags had ridden it at all when they said bike of the year. Besides, Cannondale is not some small startup company, they had been around for years with bicycle sales and maybe they were gearing up to advertise bigtime in the mags. And if it is true what some people believe about Honda, Yammie,KTM or whoever buying results in tests then Cannondale surely had the money for it.

Food for thought.