Sign in to follow this  

Diff. between 05 & 06 RMZ

thinking of selling my 05 CRF for an 06 RMZ450. What are the differences between the 05 RMZ and the 06 RMZ besides the graphics......? Any mags do a prelim. test yet??

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. While the Crf is a good bike, I had a chance to ride a 05 rmz, It seemed to turn a lot better, and the power band fit me better also. I'm a 42 yr old Vet, and my 05 crf is a ripper, to the point of being to fast and that takes its toll on a old body. (To many mods, it was better stk) I believe the 06 rmz is basically a refined version of the 05, Head, valving ect. How does it compare? We need ride reports !! Thanx, Troy 140

Updates to the 2006 RM-Z450 include the following:

Engine Updates

New cylinder head with redesigned intake port shape for increased low-to-mid-range power

Revised carburetor settings for improved low-to-midrange power

New piston oil-control rings featuring chrome-nitride coating for improved sealing and reduced friction

Revised ignition mapping for increased power output especially at low-to-mid-range rpm

Higher final drive ratio, (49/14 to 48/14), for smoother power delivery control at all rpm

Reshaped shift fork guide pins for more positive feeling gear shifts

Relocated hot-start lever for easier access

Chassis Updates

Reinforced steering head pipe for improved frame rigidity

New swingarm with increased main beam height dimension for improved traction and straight line stability

New front fork and rear shock settings for improved cornering and straight line performance

New rear brake caliper with higher rigidity for increased stopping power and better brake feel

:banghead:

thinking of selling my 05 CRF for an 06 RMZ450. What are the differences between the 05 RMZ and the 06 RMZ besides the graphics......? Any mags do a prelim. test yet??

The biggest differnce that I can think of is it won the 05 AMA National championship in it's first year. NUFF SAID.........

I just switched from an CRF450 with all the mods to an almost stock '05 RMZ-450. The only thing I have done so far is suspension work (revalved and springs for my weight) and a better chain. The RMZ turns much better, the powerband seems smoother and the bike feels lighter. The handling feels like a 250f without sacrificing the power of a 450. I have only had the bike for a few weeks and I am glad I made the switch. As for deciding between an '05 or '06 I went with the '05 to save $$$ for the suspension.

I thought someone said the 06 has a auto timing chain adjuster too.. Is this right.. ?

I thought someone said the 06 has a auto timing chain adjuster too.. Is this right.. ?

That's what I was wondering.

Been told the manual adjustment is a real pain to keep up with,every 3 hrs. is that right?

The biggest differnce that I can think of is it won the 05 AMA National championship in it's first year. NUFF SAID.........

the rmz is a sweet bike, no doubt...but if u think RC's bike and the production version r even close 2 the same thing, your sadly mistaken. not even the frame is the same.

That is the $10000 question.......if so, I may be swayed if not, no way.... :banghead:

To be totally honest,I like the MCCT better. Let's me keep a eye on things. I trust the manual(me) than the auto. I did not see any updates for the cam chain tensioner for 06,unless they forgot to mention.

Picked up my 06 RMZ yesterday, it is still manual. I like it better too, as a mechanic, I don't trust auto adjust. I just replace CRF valves yesterday for a friend. found no problem as to why the valves hit the piston other than chain adjuster, and it did not have obvious problems.

only had a short ride yesterday, who does this thing turn good. Power is good too. Still bone stock, new stuff coming next week, and I'll work on dialing suspension tomorrow. :banghead:

I just picked my 06 today,nowhere in the owners manuel does it say it's auto.

The Timing Chain Is Self Adjusting For The 2006.

Guys no offense, but to say "I prefer a manual CCT" is just crazy, Unless extra unneeded maintenance is your thing. A failure of a Auto CCT on a YZF or CRF is so rare that I do not see the point of doing this procedure every 3-10hrs of use....sorry. :banghead:

Now I have heard that it does and does not have a Auto CCT .... does anyone with a 06 know yet....you better! Or this is what you will be doing........... :banghead: