Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a CA street legal CRF450R and got questions!

I finally got a bike. CA street legal 02 CRF450R. I hope it was worth the money...

Terry Varner modified motor 56 hp

STM slipper clutch

17's front and back

CHM full exhaust

Motomaster caliper/320mm rotor/brembo radial master

14/45 gearing

...still needs a little things though.

I just replaced the front brake line w/ a custom SS line. It was routed bad and was short. Had to put a 90 bend on the top end cause of the brembo master and where the bar buster is.

1) Anyone know the length of the stock forks (37.5"?) and shock? Has anyone tried to put the MX wheels on shortened suspension? Will it bottom or be too harsh for trail riding/mx?

2) Is taking this thing on the freeway a bad idea? 14/45 gearing right now but would like something that can cruise at 70. Still want a little zip in the low end, should I change counter sprocket or rear or both?

3) Can anybody post the instructions on the STM slipper clutch. I've looked on the net with no luck. Does it have adjustments to how much it slips?

4) Finally, has anyone tried to relocate a moto master caliper to use stock size rotor? Thinking of buying another bracket and hacking it down so I can change to a MX wheelset and rotor but don't want to mess with changing out the whole system.

Race bikes like the CRF will do freeway miles but it gets really windy and the firm narrow seat gets uncomfortable quickly so it's really not the best application for SM race bikes.

I ride my Husaberg FS650 every day here in the city, the occasional SM track day and will do short freeway hops to get out to the twisty canyon roads but that's about it.

Using any competition level SM bike as a regular freeway commuter is a bad idea in my opinion. If you want a freeway SM bike then you would be better off with something along the lines of a KTM Duke, Honda XR/XL650, Suzuki DRZ400-SM, etc.

i've got an 03 crf450r street legal in bc.

that baja extra oil tank might not be worth the money. it isn't an extra oil reservoir as it appears. it collects the blow by that happens off the top end and reroutes the oil into a collector between the front frame spars. the issue i have with it is that after a session on the track the oil cooler is cold to the touch, so its not getting any flow through. i was thinking of modding an xr400 oil cooler. there's a oil in frame mod you can look up in the crf section that allows you to figure out where to drill the case. i'm also toying with modding in a crf450x rad fan with a switch incase i get stuck in traffic, although i usually just kill it to avoid the bike puking coolant.

change the oil once a week of riding on the street. filter every other week. check your valves once a month (20 minute job).

highway miles will kill your motor. i just replaced my crank, as the main bearings were starting to seize. check the top end right away (see manual). change the oil in the tranny and motor right away. don't be cheap with motor oil either; you can blow a motor this way.

i second supertireguy and i don't ride on the highway. this bike is for track nights/city savagery. i have an R6 for highway rips. the crf on the highway is super boring.you want tight quick corners, not long sleepy sweepers.

your gearing is ok. i'm running 14/40 which is better for street riding. you do have to slip the clutch a lot on launches though.

as for dirt riding, i have a complete secondary, stock front brake setup that i just unbolt and swap so i don't have to bleed fluid, etc. should point out too that with my 14/40 gearing, i had to get another chain that was 2 links shorter than the stock/dirt chain due to the smaller sprockets. it takes me an hour to swap between dirt and street, and i change: complete front brake/fender/wheels/chain/tail/shrouds/headlight for numberplate/mirror/signal cluster on left grip.

and yes that bike is well worth the money. you should have no problems finding buyers as well as everyone seems to want a street legal crf in cali.

you'll love that slipper clutch as backing it in is pretty damn fun. enjoy

hope this helps. you'll have a blast on it. if its starting to run like crap you might want to take a peek at your spark plug.

Yeah that auxillary oil tank sounded like a great idea, at first. So the 350 cc's of extra oil just sits there in the tank until your engine oil is actually consumed, right? I was under the impression that it circulates as the bike runs.

There's a small shop about 30 min from work that specializes in conversions. They had a 450 there with an externally plumbed oil system to a cooler. It had stainless steel braided lines in and out from the oil filter cover which was machined alum. I'll stop by there tomorrow at lunch and take another look. I think it's just an oil cooler kit but introducing more oil into the system is definately a good idea. Cooler plus more oil capacity would be awesome.

I've kinda given up the idea of any freeway trips, oh well, I'll be happy with city streets. I'm new to this street stuff but how do you actually "back it into a turn?" Sorry if I sound dumb, I just try to ride fast, a little short on technique.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll post what I find tomorrow...

That's the type of bike that will take revenge if you ride it on the hywy, so, I recomend the best solution- 2 BIKES! One for the track(you have that one), and one for the other boring kinds of riding.