Sign in to follow this  

SR500 exhaust?

Hi there, I just picked up a beautiful 78 SR500 and cant seem to find much aftermarket exhausts out there (actually, its bordering ZERO) Im looking for black head pipe and exhaust. My buddy has a sweet setup on HIS SR thats got the Supertrapp muffler and it sounds SWWWWWEEEEEEETTT. From what ive heard White bro.s stopped making the head pipes, so SUpertrapp stopped making the setup for the SR's

...so to my question: Does anyone have experience with this, if so what have you used? What work have you done to the Carbs? any bonus info is greatly appreciated.

LOVE the site~!

Check out www.thumperstuff.com. Pretty sure they still carry Supertrapp setups for the SR. I am positive he has it in chrome, not sure about black.

I know a lot of people have custom pipes fabricated -- I have the regular chrome Supertrapp myself but want a high pipe -- more in keeping with the street-tracker look and better cornering clearance (they do drag if you really push them in corners).

For really obscure stuff for the SR, there is a huge site in Germany that has virtually anything you might imagine -- I think it is www.kedo.com. Not cheap (damned US$-Euro exchange rate!) but some kool stuff.

Site is in German, but they do have English-speaking operators you can talk to.

As for carbs, if the motor is basically stock internally, tear out the airbox, use a clamp on K&N filter and rejet. Or, thumperstuff can fit you out with a nice 36 or 38mm roundslide Mikuni setup already jetted and ready to bolt on.

If you don't mind tearing into the motor, I would start with a cam and HP valvesrings and keepers (also from thumperstuff), then if you want more, a 540 cc piston with higher compression, a high-performance valve job and maybe some mild porting would be in order. But if it were me, and the motor is now running well, I would do just the external stuff, and MAYBE the cam, and hold off on the rest until it needs new rings or valves anyway.

External oil line directly to the exhaust rocker (or to both rockers) is recommended if you run it hard at all, and I am partial to oil coolers as well.

As to the rest, first thing I would do (if not already done) is put steel braided brake lines and good pads, closely followed by better shocks (l like them at least an inch longer than stock for more cornering clearance and quicker steering, but that is just me), new (probably heavier) fork oil and, depending on your weight, heavier fork springs. If you can find one (good luck on that) a good fork brace helps a lot as well.