Sign in to follow this  

Pinger or Thumper

Just a bit of genral advice needed, for those of you who own either a 2-T or a 4T. Thanks in advance :banghead:

I do have always owned a 2 stroke, but i would like to try a thumper, its not really the weight issue or anything like that, the one and only fact that is putting me off is the MAINTENCE involved!!! :banghead:

My 2 strokes so far havent needed much, just new chain and sprokets, tyres and so on, but engine wise it fine.

Just on 4 strokes there are so many more things to go wrong? Am i wrong in thinking this, im not amazing at maintence, and i havent really got the best place to do maintence, i have to keep my bike in a friends riding stable, so not the best place to practice maintence. PLus the fact that if something does go wrong on a 4t it costs alot more ti fix. i know that when ever i went out on one, i was always worring and thinking to my self "please dont break, get me back to base!!"

anyone else feel the same?

🤣

i know that when ever i went out on one, i was always worring and thinking to my self "please dont break, get me back to base!!"

anyone else feel the same?

:banghead:

Actually, no. I don't feel that way at all. Modern 4-strokes have come a long

way in the last 10-yrs.

True, there are more things to go wrong. I remember thinking that there sure

is a lot of noise coming from that engine... :banghead:

Other than checking the valves, I don't think there's anymore maintenance.

Just keep the oil/filter changed at regular intervals and you'll be fine.

I've had my '01 YZ426 since it was brand spankin new, I have checked the valves 1-time per year and it had been in spec every time.... My engine has never needed anything rebuilt and I'm also on the same clutch components and brakes believe it or not.......

I've had my '01 YZ426 since it was brand spankin new, I have checked the valves 1-time per year and it had been in spec every time.... My engine has never needed anything rebuilt and I'm also on the same clutch components and brakes believe it or not.......

:banghead: Maybe I should buy a Yamaha. My bike is only 2 years old and I'm on my 3rd set of valves!

I am just like you. And decided &%$#@! I am sick of getting roosted by guys on 4 strokes that can't ride half as good as me. The 4 stroke is so much easier to ride, and it doesn't take near as much effort, so you can go longer. The maintenence is not that bad, people make a bigger deal than they should about it. It is more expensive but, you gotta pay to play. It will take a few rides to get used to how to use the powerband correctly, but once you get it. You start to wonder why you waited so long.

these guys said it all. I just switched to a 2 stroke 06 YZ250. I had an 04 crf450 which was fun, fast and easy to ride but I went through 2 rears hubs and a rebuild, and a bunch of little nagging stuff. Most Yamaha guys are pretty happy with their 450's. You do need to check your valves frequently and when it comes time for a rebuild you will spend quite a bit more and depending on your mechanical abilities may have to pay someone to do it. On the rebuild you may need valves, should replace vavle springs, seats, gaskets, have the head cleaned and lapped to remove wear and pitting, of course the piston would be replaced... Some guys can get away with going longer than others depending on how hard and often they ride but if you don't keep an eye on things you will pay sooner or later. If you race a lot you really should rebuild every year. My engine guys said he has seen 450 grenade with 40 hours on them. Granted these are A riders bikes. Without a doubt it is easier to go fast on the 450. I just worked hard the last race on the YZ and got beat by a guy who I had beat all year on the 450. I'm re-learning how to ride now.