Sign in to follow this  

Fork OIL Quantity

Two questions about fork oil service. OK maybe more than 2.

1) In reading the Manuel it showed different levels of oil quantity for different spring rate changes. Why is this and why dose it fluctuate in the illustrated manor?

" for the std spring rate .47 use 332 cc, for the optional softer spring .45 use 338 cc, for the optional stiffer rate .49 use 338 cc"

2) Whats the deal with the chart showing the residual oil left in the fork vs. the ambient temp.? Is this really relevant?

You are trying understand the mind of the mad..... :banghead:

I would have to guess that their train of thought is that if you need heavier springs, you probably need more bottoming resistence.

Although, I dont beleive you would be able feel a 6c change, thats a very small quantity.

2) Whats the deal with the chart showing the residual oil left in the fork vs. the ambient temp.? Is this really relevant?

I haven't seen this, give us a couple examples of the oil quantity vs ambient temps.

John

The Honda Manual has this information, the colder the temperature the longer the oil takes to drain from the cartridge in the fork. Obviously the warmer the temp the faster oil flows and the quicker the cartridge would be emptied. This is changing oil without dissassembly of the cartridge. If it is fully dissassembled it is considered fully drained.

6cc equals the addition of 6 lbs. of force at 11", and .02 of a spring is the addition of 12 lbs of force at 11".

This would mean they are most likely just compensating for the volume exchange between the two springs.

In other words, JohnC is right - the change is insignificant.

Make sense?

DaveJ

You are trying understand the mind of the mad..... :banghead:

I would have to guess that their train of thought is that if you need heavier springs, you probably need more bottoming resistence.

Although, I dont beleive you would be able feel a 6c change, thats a very small quantity.

I haven't seen this, give us a couple examples of the oil quantity vs ambient temps.

John

John, send me your fax # and I'll send a copy over