Sign in to follow this  

70 Not Pumping Oil

I'm working on a 70 that's not pumping oil to the top end. Sump screen is new as are the oil pump gaskets. Oil passageways from pump to/through cylinder stud cavity seem unobstructed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

tightwoods :banghead:

How long are you waiting to see if the oil arrives at the head, and how are you checking to see the oil in the head. Somtimes if the oil pump is dry with no oil in it, it can take upwards of a full minute before it starts pumping oil to the head.

I didn't wait for one minute, only about 10 seconds. I don't want to run the engine that long since it seems really dry and noisy. I plan on spinning the crank with an electric drill with the spark plug out and plug cap grounded. I'm checking for oil flow by loosening the lower right cylinder stud nut (the hex nut with the copper washer). Thanks. :banghead:

10 seconds is not long enough. Open the top valve tappet adjuster and poor some oil in there to make sure some is on the valves so that they will be lubricated, then fire it up and with the top valve cap off, fire it up and give it at least 30seconds to see if it starts pumping oil up there. You will see the head start filling up with oil, and itll start slinging some out of the open hole. No worries, as long as you have some oil on the upper parts, they will hold out for 30 seconds no problem while you wait to see if the oil is pumping.

I squirted oil all around and let run for over a minute. The only oil I see is what I applied and whatever the cam chain is carrying up. I'm getting nothing out of the lower right stud when the nut and washer are removed. That tells me that there is an obstruction somewhere or the pump isn't pumping oil. I'm open to more suggestions. Thanks again.

tightwoods :banghead: