Sign in to follow this  

yz oil filter

I am on my third oil change now and the OEM oil filters run $13 a pop. What do you guys think of the stainless/washable models. Do they filter as well?

Hi flo filters are like $3 to $4 aren't they? :banghead:

A lot of people like the stainless though.

That's what I have heard, but I didn't know if the Hi Flo filters did as good of a job. Maybe I should just do the stainless one and be done with it. Thanks for the help!

I have been running the Hi flo in my bike since new with absolutely no problems. I have also heard that the SS ones don't filter as well and how do you know you get it completely cleaned out. For me, it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. There has been some discussions on here. You may want to do a search and see what others have said or their experiences.

I've been using Hi Flo's for a while too and they work fine. $4 too!

I have heard the stainless steel ones work fine too, but you don't save money vs. the standard paper ones. With the stainless ones you have to buy brake cleaner (or other similiar cleaners) to clean them.

yes, that $1.50 can of brake cleaner that lasts about 8 oil changes just kills my wallet.

For real.....I'd much rather spend $5-$13 per oil change plus tax and/or shipping for an inferior filter. :banghead: If you're too damn cheap to buy brake cleaner you can use soap and water. Hell, you could probably put it in the dish washer.

Paper elements can filter to as fine as .25 microns and will catch some of the stuff finer than that. However, they are somewhat variable, and they will sometimes allow objects as large as 100 microns to pass. Furthermore, they restrict flow to the point that they bypass on virtually every cold start, sending unfiltered oil through the engine, and if any water ever gets in the oil, it will close the filter off entirely.

The best solution is the Scotts stainless. It filters to 35 microns, is very rugged, and can be cleaned every oil change for a couple of years without a problem. Besides that, they flow extremely freely, and will basically never bypass unless it's incredibly dirty. In fact, a one inch square of the Scotts mesh will flow 1.9 gallons of cold 90 weight oil per minute at only 1 psi pump pressure (70 degrees F). Since the YZF filter has about 14.5 sq/in of mesh in it, that gives it the ability to flow well over 15 Gallons of cold oil per minute, a number the oil pump is not even capable of producing.

On the question of whether its perfectly clean, I have to ask, so what if it isn't? It had stuff in it before you cleaned it, and it will have more in it again right after you start it. That's what it's for. The remaining debris is just as trapped in the filter as it was before you cleaned it, and as the next collected material will be when you put it back in. Anything that might be left in the filter certainly isn't going to obstruct the element. That much is obvious while you're cleaning it.

As to the cost, I change oil about 18 times a year. If I used $5 cheapie paper elements, that would cost me $90 a year. The Scotts cost me $65 one time, and it's in it's second year, so which is really cheaper?

yeah, i've only had my scotts 4.5 years. what a waste. oh, and i used 20 cents worth of brake cleaner last night changing my oil for the enduro this weekend. another batch off to blackstone for analysis.

:banghead:

Grayracer....that is exactly what I was looking for. The decision is made. Thanks a ton!!

just an fyi. I believe the oem paper filters, and most name brand ones are resin impregnated so water doesnt affect them.

Scott's is the only way to go. The Ready Filter guys also make a stainless one too and I think it some with a snazzy cover too. The Scott's is super easy to clean and I have not had a single problem using one on my '05 YZ250F.