Sign in to follow this  

Removing Baffle - create problems?

Hey Guys,

New here so forgive me if this has been asked before. I've got a new CRF80f for my son and a CRF230f for me. Pulling out the baffles sounds like a great idea - gotta love the sound, but didn't know if this would cause other problems. These bikes are made pretty specific these days and I don't want to end up with burnt valves or something. Am I cool to remove?

Im no expert but I wouldnt worry to much about it. It will be louder and you may need to rejet but generally your bike will run better.

It will be perfectly fine, nothing will go wrong. Might want to pull the snorkels too and re jet. I'd suggest 120 main 45 pilot needle in 4th position for the 230. Ask in the CRF80 forum what to re jet it to.

I'm sure you could be fine since I'm assuming you're just cruising around with your son. The problem that could happen would be you could seize your bike. Honda knew this so they offer a "Power-up kit." It's a rejetting package for your bike. You should get it anyway because your bike was sold "under jetted."

Anyway, that's the only issue you will run into.

what is a baffle and would it hurt your bike if you did not re-jet

WOW!!! :banghead:

the baffle is the piece inside the spark arrestor in your exhaust that helps to keep the noise down. when you take it out it makes the bike louder. you may have to rejet.

Hey AtlantaRider......you sound just like me. I also bought myself a 230 and my son an 80. We now spend more time together and have ALOT of GREAT times.

To answer your question.....I have pulled the baffle out of my 230 and have had no problems. The bike is set up to run lean so, don't fool with the airbox until you re jet the carb! If you do, you're asking for trouble.

I've done some research on both bikes. Drop a message in my inbox if you would like some help.

Thanks for the responses guys. This site is great.

One more queston for ya....I heard mention of the power up kit?? What's involved in this kit and where can I get one.

Again, sorry for being lazy and not doing a search. Try not to flame me too badly and if I'm unworthy of a response, I understand....I'll start searching

The path of least resistance is the man way!

Don't respond to that last email....I'm an idiot. Any chucker could see the sticky pinned at the top of the page for rejetting. Great information there BTW. Does the power up kit seem to make a big difference for those of you that have done it??

thanks alot you guys. but mister pger555 this is my first bike and i am only 13 you insted of laughing at me just help.

Sorry but a baffle is kind of common sense. Anyway if you dont rejet over time your engine will suffer, plus ull get more useable power if you upgrade the air filter and rejet properly.

WOW!!! :banghead:

you didnt know what it was at some point in your life either, believe me your no expert on motorcycles

F*** you dude, i never said i was an "expert" on motorcycles. No offense to wolfgang but if you didnt know that a baffle is a device to control the flow of sound or energy then you need to enlighten your vocabulary.