Sign in to follow this  

Tire Pressure

I am 6'4 240lbs and have a Hon xr250r. My tire says 35 psi cold. however, for an enduro with some rock, mostly trails, I'm thinking I should be at 20-25 lbs, to compensate for the terrain and my weight. The 11-17 that I've been told by others seems too soft when riding on dirt alone. Any advice? :banghead:

I am about the same weight and ride an XR400. I run 12-14lbs for almost everything out here in the desert, rocks, sand, etc. and I have no problems. I am also running heavy-duty tubes front and rear. If you feel that you might have problems with rocks bump the pressure up to 15-16 and you should be good.

BTW the posted tire pressure on the side of the tire is a maximum, not the running pressure, much like car/truck tires.

I am 6'4 240lbs and have a Hon xr250r. My tire says 35 psi cold. however, for an enduro with some rock, mostly trails, I'm thinking I should be at 20-25 lbs, to compensate for the terrain and my weight. The 11-17 that I've been told by others seems too soft when riding on dirt alone. Any advice? :banghead:
Anymore, with ultra heavy duty tubes, I'm running 10 in the winter and 12-14 in the summer. (I'm 5'10"/180lbs)

I have run lower than 8psi before, but I get really nervous about pinch flats and ride too conservatively at those pressures. I know enough people who have had pinch flats at 10psi running standard tubes that I know I'm pushing it below 10.

FYI: The difference in traction between 8psi and 12psi on wet clay, mud, soft ground under trees, roots, etc. is simply amazing.

I rarely run more than 12 psi on my race bikes. I wouldn't run more than 14 in your case. If really wet and slippery I run 11 to 10 psi.

Dwight