06 CRF 250X - shedding some pounds!!!

Any suggestions on shedding some .lbs on this bike, without performance loss???

(Note: if the "pipe" is one of the suggestions, could you be specific, also it will need to have a spark arrestor for local park riding)

Cheers,

Kelli

WOW, great advice!

So far for pipes suggestions, I will research:

1. FMF Q Ti. - Quiet, legal, light.

2. CHM makes a pipe (System P4-R) constructed out of TI

3. Akrapovic

4. FMF Q2, sparky & noise acceptable and retains low-end power

I like the suggestion to remove the Smog, but wonder if thats like opening a can of worms... Their must be more to it than simply taking it off??? so... more research for me

Regarding removong the starter, I might as well have purchased the 250R at that point? I have never had a bike with a starter before, so it's quite new to me, I'll try it for a while and if I feel I still need to loose more poundage, i'll remove it... but yes your right, it's about an extra 5 or 6 lbs, I think.

PS... thanks so much for all the advice , you all are great!

Okay, this is interesting and I have been wondering ways around this for a while.

I come from a mountain bike race background and I use to weigh everything, so I have been thinking how the hell do I weigh my CRF.

If you unload all of this stuff off the front end, how do you know how much you got rid of really, do you put your front wheel on a set of scales and weight it ?

Or do you have to just weigh the difference of the parts and think oh great.

My bike came with heaps of road stuff, blinkers, big rear lights etc. So I take this off and I only get to what you probably have in the states as std off the floor.

So anyway, who has weighed there bike and how ?

I havent...but i dont reall ystrive to make it way light, i removed all the headlights, tail light and smog crap because for racing that stuff breaks easily and is costly to replace....

Personally the cheapest way to remove weight is to loose it yourself. Get a gym membership instead of spending a bunch on making yoru bike lighter!

Personally the cheapest way to remove weight is to loose it yourself. Get a gym membership instead of spending a bunch on making yoru bike lighter!

Disclaimer: Hey Jimmy, this is not necessarily directed at you, but I see comments like this all the time and decided to reply with my 2 cents.

Why do so many people make this comment when folks want to make their bike as light as possible? Sure, if the rider loses weight, it'll help get the most out of the bike's HP. Plus, I'm sure most of us would benefit from losing a few pounds. :banghead: However that doesn't make the bike any easier to handle. Easier handling is another big reason people want to make their bikes lighter. Also, picking up a lighter bike after spills or pushing it out of tight situations, or around/over obstacles is less tiring. I recently rode for three days at Hatfield McCoy in WV and even my 250X started to feel like a Harley after picking it up numerous times on hillclimb failures. Of course, if I was a better rider, maybe that wouldn't be an issue. ? I read that many folks that switched from 450s to 250s for racing comment on the better handling and "flickability" of the lighter bikes. Anyway, I just want to throw that out there for discussion. Sorry for hijacking the thread.. :banghead:

-Mike

I agree that a lighter bike is easier to handle. The reason I posted what I did is for a few reasons. I used to be in the 185 range and couldnt make it through a race at a fast pace because towards the end I was so tired that I couldnt ride fast anymore. Since I have got my weight down to 160 and found that fnishing a race is way easier, my lap times dont fall off at the end of a race.

Most* people on here are only talking about maybe shedding 2-3 lbs (unless they pull the starter and all electrical), and IMO spending upwards of $600 is absolutely rediculous to shed such a minute amount of weight, which your not going to notice a difference.

I agree that a lighter bike is easier to handle. The reason I posted what I did is for a few reasons. I used to be in the 185 range and couldnt make it through a race at a fast pace because towards the end I was so tired that I couldnt ride fast anymore. Since I have got my weight down to 160 and found that fnishing a race is way easier, my lap times dont fall off at the end of a race.

Most* people on here are only talking about maybe shedding 2-3 lbs (unless they pull the starter and all electrical), and IMO spending upwards of $600 is absolutely rediculous to shed such a minute amount of weight, which your not going to notice a difference.

Yeah, I agree with you.. Being in good shape is definitely going to help with your endurance. :banghead:

-Mike

If I purchase an FMF Q2 ($379), do I need to purchse the Powerbomb ($200) header as well?

-and-

would this require any re-jetting or anything?

How time consuming is it to install this?

You dont need to run their header with that pipe, however it will yield more performance gains. You should rejet, even stock the bike is leaner then I like so rejetting is near inevitable. As far as install, pretty simple, just a couple minutes. The pain is jetting but I now have that down to a science, only 10 minutes to change mains.......

OK... I ended up with:

~ White Bros E2 Pipe

About the pipe in "quotes"

• Converts from U.S.F.S to competition specification in seconds utilizing single screw end cap release

• New one-piece Square Eclipse shape hard -anodized aluminum can

• Unique quiet performance design

• Includes both U.S.F.S core insert and competition end caps

• Stainless Steel inlet, mid pipe and perforated core with billet aluminum inlet cap

• Design allows easy rebuild with factory repack kits

E2.jpg

~ All white plastic

~ DID Gold "X" Chain

~ Factory Effex B3 Seat cover

That's it for now, I'll submit photos when I get it all together

Forgot to mention, if you want to feel what losing aprox. 5lbs off your bike would feel like, fill up your gas tank a little less than half way. A gallon of gas should weigh about 5lbs.

Wow... Hey... if I quit drinking wine at night, i could lose an additional 5lbs... that would be 10 POUNDS!!!

So... I could run out of gas quickly and save alot of money at the liquor store!

Perfect! :banghead:

Wow... Hey... if I quit drinking wine at night, i could lose an additional 5lbs... that would be 10 POUNDS!!!

So... I could run out of gas quickly and save alot of money at the liquor store!

Perfect! :banghead:

My suggestion was just for you to see whether you personally would even feel the difference loosing 5lbs would make. It's up to you if you decide to use this technique full time and run out of gas. :banghead: