Sign in to follow this  

DRZ is close but not 100% bulletproof

Well I guess it was my turn. 🤣 I had bought this bike new in April 2000 and had never had any problems. Heck I've never had to reshim my valves, always in spec.🤣 BUT anyway I'm on my 3rd lap at the local Hare Scramble, and doing fairly well I might add, and I hear this noise that sounds like the drive chain coming off. Or at least that's what I thought. So I pull in the clutch and look down and nope the chain is still on. Just as I looked down the engine dies and then won't turn over. So first thing I think is valves coming apart. After I get her home I begin to tear her down. Head looks good,valves look good, top of piston looks good. Pull the cylinder off and there's where the problem begins. :banghead: Bottom of cylinder has a small chunk knocked off and a crack about 1 1/4" long. What I can see of the crank has small dings in it. So let's just pull this succker all the way. Heck I got plenty of beer in the fridge. :banghead: This is what I found after splitting the cases.8324MVC-003S-med.JPG

4th driven gear engagement dog has broken off. How the heck did that happen. I know I got big feet but I ain't no stomper on the lever.

8324MVC-007S1-med.JPG

This is the biggest parts I've found so far.🤣

8324MVC-005S1-med.JPG

Counterbalancer took a little beating as well as the crankshaft

8324MVC-009S1-med.JPG

Oh well...so much for me buying a new bike soon. I guess I'll have to ride this one some more to get my extra $900.00 out of it.

But I guess the bright side is my Athena big bore kit will be here tomorrow as well as my bottom end parts.

Has anyone else had this problem? I did notice that Suzuki has an updated part number for the 4th driven gear.

Hum any one...?

Yep she's split wide open..It probably looks that way in the pic because I'd done pulled the primary gear and so forth....gonna bring in the left side tomorrow to pull the rotor so I can get the crank out. Gonna clean up ( as in file off the burrs) the crank and balancer and reuse them.

Anybody want to buy a slightly :banghead: cylinder

No see piccies either.

On the plus side it sounds like you're in the perfect position to go for a stroker crank :banghead:

did you pull the primary cover off yet?almost looks like the coounter balancer went out of time.

Burned the counter balancer is bent :banghead: Man is it ever gonna end. $1200.00 and counting.... :banghead:

Heck I hope there isn't anything else hiding..........other than my billfold