Sign in to follow this  

04crf450 waterpump help

i've got some seepage at my waterpump weephole and removed the cover to access the impellor shaft and was wondering a good way to hold the motor to remove the impellor for seal access. is this a common failure and are there any improved parts that i should use? thanks for any input. Mark

I have an additional question.. I noticed some weepage out of the weephole after starting the motor when the engine is cold in the morning. after warm up the weepage would stop. I was thinking that the O-ring would expand with the heat after warm up and would not leak the rest of the day..So the question is.. Is it just an O-ring thing or a impeller assembly thing??????

Should I change all the guts? The water pump seal, oil seal, bearing and water pump cover O-ring gasket? Just wondering what usually needs replaced so I don't have to make several trips to the dealer.. thanks...

If I'm not mistaken, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can use the parts for the 06 which are supposed to be improved over the earlier models.

Hey Biz, I heard the same thing but what is the difference and what will I gain with the 06 impeller?

The 06 has a hole in the impeller. This is suppose to help equalize the pressure in front and back of the impeller to help not push the liquid past the seal.

I have an 03 and had problems with the seals. I drilled my own hole. Not enough hours to give a report on weather or not it's going to work.

Mine was leaking and I replaced the seal still leak very slight. So I just bought every thing for an 06. I am waiting for the impeller. I also used Cat bearing mount to hold it in place because I heard of some bearing spinning in the case. Mine was not doing that but now I will never have to worry about it. so i would check the bearing in the case before getting parts. I will let everyone know how it works when I get it together.

Well, just replaced the outer seal and the pump cover gasket. Refilled the radiator with engine ice and ran it for several minutes,,,,no leak.. Drained the trans oil to make sure the inner seal was ok.. All looks fine.. I'll know more next week at the track.. Thanks for all the help guys.. I'll keep you updated..

The 06 has a hole in the impeller. This is suppose to help equalize the pressure in front and back of the impeller to help not push the liquid past the seal.

I have an 03 and had problems with the seals. I drilled my own hole. Not enough hours to give a report on weather or not it's going to work.

on the service honda sight they do not list the 2006 impeller, does anyone know if the new impeller has taken the place of the old