Sign in to follow this  

Diet

Diet seems to be a mystery. It seems that way due to the quick fixes and outrageous claims the health industry makes. I mean between low fat, low carb I mean if you don't have fat or carbs what do you have left? cardboard?\

I will make this simple. "If it lived you can eat it." vegatables, meats, fish, poultry, fruits, nuts. They are best in thier RAW form. We all know what carbs and protiens and fats are right? Right. well eat a rainbow of colors lots of fruits and vegetables, eat more carbs in the early day and more protien at the end of the day. Eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours, drink water often 1 gal a day.

Protiens are about RDA for sedentary adult = 0.36 g/lb

Recreational exerciser = 0.54 g/lb

Competitive athlete = 0.64 g/lb

Building muscle mass = 0.77 g/lb

Serious bodybuilder = 0.82 g/lb

more than that will store as FAT.

Fats are not bad but if you are eating leaner meats like chicken or fish you can eat much more. The fats which are UNhealthy are trans fatty acids. These are found mostly in 'processed food' like margarine, shortening, fried foods, snack foods, hydrogenated vegetable oil and so on. Omega-3 Fats, Fish Oil, DHA and EPA are important.One of the most important fats to have in your diet is the Omega-3 oil, found primarily in fish. This oil has been shown to help prevent cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's and much more.

The Atkins diet and other low carb diets promote taking omega-3 vitamins daily to ensure you get a good amount of these critical nutrients. If you do so, be sure to read the label carefully. Omega-3 is not the critical ingredient - it is the DHA and EPA found in Omega-3 fish oils that studies point to as the healthy component. monosaccarides like olive oil are best. There are "phytates" in soy which block a body from properly absorbing zinc. So eating soy *while you eat* other plant materials means that you won't absorb the zinc in those plants. It doesn't affect the zinc IN your body already but it does harm your ability to absorb new zinc while you are eating soy. Meaning either you need some non-soy-eating times to get your zinc into you, or you need to take vitamins at a different time of day to compensate. Zinc is critical for proper brain functioning. Phytates also interfere with absorption of calcium, magnesium and iron.

That's enough for now. go eat!

THe power bar harvest ones are good too. The chocolate of course. The other power bars are like eating silly puddy.

I followed this nutrition with NJDENT. We both lost lbs, gained energy, and built muscle. One of the favorites for breakfast is Kashi Go Crunch one cup serving size with either a half cup blueberries or strawberries. Another is egg whites and whole wheat toast. And lastly almond butter found in most healthy grocery stores and ezekiel bread. Pay close attention to fruits stay away from bananas and pineapple. Always include three servings of GREEN vegtables at lunch and dinner. These will help to replace red blood cells. Serving size is KEY. Remember the whole SUPER SIZE issue. Break out the measuring cups and food scale. Drink 10 glasses of water per day, measure it in the morning, put it in a pitcher and this way you know that you must drink at least that anything above is a bonus! HEALTHY BODY HEALTHY RIDER!!! :banghead:

I followed this nutrition with NJDENT. Pay close attention to fruits stay away from bananas and pineapple. :

Can I ask what the problem is with bananas and pineapple?

While all fruit has sugar some are worse than others. Blueberries are high in antioxidants very good. Apples good as well. Nutritionist said no grapes too! Shellfish only once a week. Red meat rarely. It takes 30 days for the body to breakdown.

Just to clarify a few things.

First of all - protein intake (as noted in grams to body mass) should not be based on an activity category or even the amount of exercise. It's based on the type of activity to the condition of the person doing the activity. In other words, protein is used to rebuild the body, and if there is nothing to rebuild there's no point in taking in any additional protein.

Secondly - water intake should never be measured on some expectation such as 1 gallon or 10 glasses a day. When the body is fully hydrated, that's it, there's no room or benefit for any additional water, (unless you have theories about flushing things out). Additionally, excess water can cause serious imbalances in the body, primarily those of electrolytes. Be very careful about drinking too much water, and/or make sure to supplement your electrolytes if need be.

Lastly, don't go too wacko over fish oils. The body usually requires a lot more healthy fat than one could ever bear to administer via this method, particularly with those of us that do a lot of damage to our bodies. And mercury is a very big problem with fish, so unless your source can verify that your supplements are completely clean, you may want to reconsider this.

A few other notes -

1. Not all nuts are good for you. In fact, peanuts should come with a warning label.

2. Omega-3 is not a vitamin.

3. Raw food is not always best, but food cooked at lower temperatures will maintain more nutrients than foods cooked over 118F.

4. And BTW, Hydrogenated fats and trans fats are the same thing.

5. Although not mentioned here, at some point you're going to come across a thing called the "glycemic index". The knowledge and application of it is about as useful as diesel fuel is to a dirt bike. However, it's becoming something of a bandwagon, so beware.

And if you ever REALLY want to understand nutrition and how the body works, there are three books you should commit to memory.

1. "Renewal" by Timothy J. Smith

2. "Putting it all Together: The new Orthomolecular Nutrition" by Hoffer and Walker

3. "The Stuff of Life - profiles of the molecules that make us tick" by Eric P. Widmaier.

I'm sure there's more but I yet to find them and my shelves are getting full. Most diet books lack either real world experience or tend to be business ideas more than proper nutrition concepts.

Now go ride.

Can I ask what the problem is with bananas and pineapple?

Nothing if you're not trying to lose weight.

I have a banana a day but am in great shape already.

Bananas on race/riding days is recommended though

even if you are trying to lose weight.

Bananas on average are 100 calories, so not a problem for weight loss. Pineapple is 75 calories for 1 cup, again not a problem for weight loss, unless you are going to eat 10 bananas and 10 cups of pineapple in a day and not do anything to burn those calories. Bananas have potassium, B6 and Vitamin C and pineapple has good fibre and Vitamin C.

I guess I still don't see the problem. I also agree that water is a good thing, but anything to excess is going to be too much for the body.

Bananas on average are 100 calories, so not a problem for weight loss. Pineapple is 75 calories for 1 cup, again not a problem for weight loss, unless you are going to eat 10 bananas and 10 cups of pineapple in a day and not do anything to burn those calories. Bananas have potassium, B6 and Vitamin C and pineapple has good fibre and Vitamin C.

I guess I still don't see the problem. I also agree that water is a good thing, but anything to excess is going to be too much for the body.

I tried to keep it simple but I knew this would happen :banghead:

I tried to keep it simple but I knew this would happen :banghead:

Always experts around to pick at anything anyone posts. Some of us are listening so don`t get discouraged by a few know it alls.

I am not a know-it-all, I am asking a serious question as to why those two fruits are bad for you. I listed the good qualities of the fruits and was trying to find out why they are bad for you. I guess asking questions makes you a know-it-all?????

I am not a know-it-all, I am asking a serious question as to why those two fruits are bad for you. I listed the good qualities of the fruits and was trying to find out why they are bad for you. I guess asking questions makes you a know-it-all?????

No one is a know-it-all. Listen different things work for different people, thats what this is all about, sharing the knowledge. Most people have common sense. If you are allergic to something I would think you wouldn't eat it. I am not saying these fruits are bad. But for weight loss other fruits work better. Lets all be nice!! :banghead:

No one is a know-it-all. Listen different things work for different people, thats what this is all about, sharing the knowledge. Most people have common sense. If you are allergic to something I would think you wouldn't eat it. I am not saying these fruits are bad. But for weight loss other fruits work better. Lets all be nice!! :banghead:

What fruits will work better for weight loss?

What makes you think my post was directed at you? :banghead:

Always experts around to pick at anything anyone posts. Some of us are listening so don`t get discouraged by a few know it alls.

This was the quote from you with the following posted above it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572

I tried to keep it simple but I knew this would happen

It just sounded like it was aimed towards me.

Hi everyone ! I've followed similar diet and nutrition principals since I was 15 years old and I find that all the advice I just read in the entire thread is all quite accurate ! You just have to listen to what everyone has to offer and give it a good try . You'll soon find what works with your own particular physiology and what doesn't ! I tried the gallon of spring water a day thing and found that I end up bloated so I now drink as I find it necesssary . Basically , just keep hydrated and top up with as much as you empty out or sweat out and keep the electrolytes up ! When you are not adequately hydrated , you lose energy and your growth hormone levels drop drastically . The rainbow of colours in fruits and vegies and very light cooking if at all is top advice . I fully agree with peanuts being not so good , as although I love eating them , I've just found recently that I'm allergic to them and also wheat ! Raw cashews and almonds , pepitas and sunflower kernels are good , as are dried apricots . Alfalfa and mungbean sprout salads are good , pawpaw and pineapple supply papayan and bromelain enzymes that aid digestion . Bananas supply potassium but they do contain a fair amount of sugar , I've never had a problem with being fat or overweight so they're no problem ! Apples , raw carrots and berries are excellent for antioxidants as is green tea . Corn and rice are OK for me ! For some reason or other , my body doesn't like much flax seed oil which supplies a balance of omega 3 , 6 and 9 essential fatty acids , tri-germ oil is OK ! I tried using a whey/soy protein supplement but it caused abdominal bloating due to the oestrogenic effects so I now use 40 grams of 100 % hydrolized oligopeptide whey protein after training and a casein/whey mix when I get up in the morning . Too much protein can cause acidosis and liver overload so I've learnt to instinctively go on and off it ! Excess protein that is not utilised can most certainly be stored as fat despite what some people claim ! The average male adult requires 60 grams a day for maintenance so I make sure I at least get that much or I lose energy . Just like with training , your body responds to random variation and cycling with diet and nutrition . It can get boring and monotonous performing the same old routine week in week out . I supplement all vitamins and minerals in natural form including chromium picolinate , zinc amino acid chelate , mega - b complex , calcium ascorbate C , Alpha d tocopherol E , dolomite , dessicated liver and halibut liver oil for A and D and I've found that 1 day on 1 day off works best for me . My weight is constant at 13 stone (87 kg) and blood tests always check out OK with no abnormalities or deficiencies . I've tried the no red meat diet but it's no good for me , I need the iron and creatine it supplies , plus I eat chicken and eggs . According to naturopaths , if you have large K-9 teeth , you need to eat meat and if your teeth are mainly incisors you are more of a vegetarian but I'm definitely no vego ! Meat is reported to require more energy to digest than what you get out of it and it's supposed to take six hours to digest , it is known to remain in the intestines for long periods with the average cadaver reported to have ten pounds of animal flesh and ash in their intestines but if your diet consists of enough roughage , you'll have a 3 day intestinal transit time so it won't get too much time to cause any trouble if you have enough muscle mass and the meat handling metabolism . The word is moderation with red meat . A naturopath once told me that you should eat red meat twice a week and each serving should be no larger than the palm of your hand ! It doesn't matter what you say or do in anything , there will always be someone who will disagree with you or try to prove you wrong , but usually , these "armchair experts" or critics are only fooling themselves and having themselves on ! Rejection of other peoples' input is classic evidence of a learning difficulty ! You learn by being open minded , trying something out and giving it time to work before discarding it ! I personally don't take a scrap of notice of arm chair critics , they're a waste of space !