Sign in to follow this  

effect of changing sprockets

If you change your sprockets (sp?) from the stock setting so that you have more bottom end, does that mean you the top speed decreases or would it stay the or about the same as the stock settings?

if you drop a tooth in the front, you will have alot more bottom end, but will lose about 3-5 mph in top speed.

yea thats what i want to do because i will probley never actually use the top speed so it wouldnt hurt to have some more bottom end power.

instead of dropping a tooth in the front add a 2 teeth in the back go up to a 50T rear sprocket its gives you more bottom end without decresing as much top end as you would lose if you dropped a tooth in the front..if your looking for one i have a brand new renthal 50t rear sprocket that i would sell you fairly cheap..i put it on but my chain didnt fit since its an aftermarket chain and dont feel like spending the money for a new one email me if your interested skeltonjoe@gmail.com

which gives you more bottom end power? a 12 tooth front sprocket or a 50 tooth rear sprocket? if you change the amount of teeth on one sproket do you have to change the other? like if you change the front do you have to change the back? im not really worried about how much top speed i lose though.

No you don't have to change both sprockets. 1 tooth smaller in the front is like going up 3 teeth on the rear. If you're not worried about top speed I would go with the 12T front sprocket.

No you don't have to change both sprockets. 1 tooth smaller in the front is like going up 3 teeth on the rear. If you're not worried about top speed I would go with the 12T front sprocket.

ok thanks.

Here's how it works. Get your calculator out and divide the number of teeth on the back sprocket by the number of teeth on the front sprocket. Like this:

52/13=4.00

or

48/12=4.00

This is the sprocket ratio. Higher ratios mean more torque and lower top speed. As you can see from the examples a 13T front with a 52T rear is the same ratio as a 12T front with a 48T rear.

Now you can also tell how much effect changing one tooth on either sprocket has. For example, say your CRF has a 13T front sprocket and a 49T rear sprocket (I don't know what they have, this is just an example). That would give a ratio of..

49/13=3.77

Say you wanted more torque. Going down one tooth on the front sprocket would yield

49/12=4.08

This ratio would have more torque than the original, but you would give up some top end (about 8%). Suppose you felt you lost too much top end this way. If you wanted a bit more torque than originally, but wanted to give away a bit less top end, you could try going up one, two or three teeth on the rear sprocket, rather than dropping a tooth on the front. Like this..

50/13=3.85

51/13=3.92

52/13=4.00

As you can see, each of these ratios are in between what you would get if you went from a 13T to a 12T front sprocket. Each one would trade torque for top end in varying amounts.

As an experiment, it only costs a few bucks to buy a smaller front sprocket(~$10). Once you try it out for a while, if you feel you lost too much top end, you can use this bit of simple math to decide which (more expensive) rear sprocket you'd want, and which ratio you'd like to be closer to.

This is really simple, and I'm sure you know it already, but it doesn't hurt sometimes to do a little obvious figuring. Good luck.

ok so this is a really old post and im guessing no-one will probably reply to this but i was wondering if anyone knew of the sizes of rear sprockets (tooth numbers) available for the 230? As in, the 50 tooth is stock, I know you can buy a 48, but what others are available? I was thinking of trying a 46/12 combo if i can get a 46 rear

If I'm correct, this combo would be equal to dropping to a 49 rear with the stock 13T front sprocket. The more logical way would be to drop the rear sprocket to a 49.

If your doing trail riding then go with the 12 tooth front sprocket. I did and it did wonders! Wheelies, acceleration, and hill climbing all increased enough for me to notice a difference. It lowered the top speed a bit but that didn't bother me much because I didn't buy the 150 for speed. If I wanted speed I would have went with a YZ85 or something like that. The main reason why I went 1 tooth smaller in the front is because front sprockets are cheaper than rear ones:thumbsup:

-Rob

instead of dropping a tooth in the front add a 2 teeth in the back go up to a 50T rear sprocket its gives you more bottom end without decresing as much top end as you would lose if you dropped a tooth in the front..if your looking for one i have a brand new renthal 50t rear sprocket that i would sell you fairly cheap..i put it on but my chain didnt fit since its an aftermarket chain and dont feel like spending the money for a new one email me if your interested skeltonjoe@gmail.com

Joe either someone sold you the wrong chain or the wrong sprocket. A 520 chain will always fit a 520 sprocket.

Mike

If I'm correct, this combo would be equal to dropping to a 49 rear with the stock 13T front sprocket. The more logical way would be to drop the rear sprocket to a 49.

Yeh i figured that with the ratio's but i already bought a 12T to try it out and the loss of top end was amazing- as in I wasn't impressed because it felt like i was only in 4th when indeed i was in 6th. So the reason i'm looking for the rear sprocket sizes is so that i can get close to the original ratio (~3.85) 👍

If your doing trail riding then go with the 12 tooth front sprocket'

The problem is when i'm trail riding i always find myself looking for the next gear so riding with a 12T on the front would kill me because I need the top end, where i ride acceleration isn't a problem :devil:

The best way is to put your 13 back on and get a 49. With a 12T front sprocket, it puts more tension and wear on the chain. If your 13 is in good shape yet, put it back on and then work from there. To answer you question though, as far as I know, you shouldn't have a problem finding an aftermarket 46T rear. The stock Honda sprockets cost a lot money, something like SunStar or JT sprockets are much cheaper and still have the good quality. In spring I'm getting a 48T rear Aluminum sprocket. With the lighter sprocket, I shouldn't lose any power, the only difference would be more top end. No more 6'th gear wheelie's with the taller gearing ofcourse...lol

what if you were to go up in the back like they said for more bottom end and ALSO go down to the 12t on the front? what would that do ? just a question 👍