Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Shroud Bolts

OK everyone,

The top radiator shroud bolts that go into the gas tank are stuck. One side is spinning, although it still has grip. Any ideas on how to get these out? Many years of Yamaha's and never had this problem.

Am I screwed?

Thx,

--scott

I have the same issue on the upper right mount.... No idea how to fix it. I just tank the entire tank off for maintance.

I just now discovered that the damn things are stuck on mine as well!

If anybody comes up with a solution, please let the rest of us know.

I'll do the same.

So, any of you chemist-types pipe in here. The top bolts are stuck. The bottom ones are not. I know plastic "breathes" fuel fumes, and the bottom ones would be below the fuel level, generally speaking, whereas the upper ones would be above it. Any relationship here?

I got another tip from another forum. When ready to replace the shrouds, basically break the things off and cut the plastic away from the bolt, allowing access to the tank insert. Then, stick something around the insert to keep it from spinning while unscrewing the bolt. After that, use a product from Auto-Zone called "Plastic Repair" or something like that. It is like JB Weld for plastic. I'll be trying this approach when it is time to replace my shrouds.

Any other ideas?

--Hack-Man162

had this happen to an 85 honda heres what I did:

CAREFULLY drill a hole through the shroud NOT into the tank. Insert a flat blade screw driver through the hole and wedge it into the plastic between the metal insert and the gas tank. Remove the bolt and shroud. Pack the area around the insert with epoxy type (jbweld) let dry for 24 hours minimum. When you replace the shroud put a small amount of grease on the threads to prevent it seizing again. New graphics cover the hole.

I'm picking up my 06 today, maybe a good tip would be to pull the bolts now, before they are stuck and grease or lube with a good antisieze. : :banghead: ride: