Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 SM Tires

I know this topic has been discussed. However, several issues are unclear. :banghead: I have 4000 mi on my DRZ400 SM and the rear tire is ragged. The OEM, Dunlop 208 140/70/17 rear tires can only be bought from Suzuki as they have some sort of agreement with Dunlop. They run $289. I would like to replace the tire with a better tire and a less expensive tire. Questions:

Will the Pilot Road 150/70/17 clear the rear swing arm welds? The OEM Dunlop is close. Is a 150/60/17 tire narrower than a 150/70/17?

Since the rim is spoked you need a tube. One dealer says you can’t place a tube in a tubeless tire…almost all street tires are tubeless. Another dealer says not true, tubes can be placed in tubeless tire. I have been to 10 different shops from Atlanta to Pensacola and received 10 different answers. Replies like “it should work, I know a guy who did it, It won’t work, it will change the profile and handling of the bike” are just a few. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In regard to the bike…It is great! I have commuted daily 50 miles round trip and it has made a miserable commute fun. Every corner and green light is a :banghead: I have even made a 600 mile round trip averaging 70 mph…buzzy, but it can do it. Gas mileage around town is around 55 mpg, running 70 mph it drops to 40-45 mpg. Distance on a tank is 110+ in town, but running 70 mph you better find a station at 80 miles. Change my own oil every 1000 miles and it still looks good.

i'm not sure about tubes in a tubless tire but i think you can squeeze a 160 in there.there are a few different brands that make tires for it(avon ,pirelli)

The OEM, Dunlop 208 140/70/17 rear tires can only be bought from Suzuki as they have some sort of agreement with Dunlop. They run $289.

That's ridiculous; I can buy a Supercorsa SC2 tire for my track bike for less than that. $289 should be for both tires installed.

I have put a set of Avon Distanza's on my SM with great results. The tire fit on well and have super traction on the pavement. Maybe not a great as the 208s but I don't ride it "that" hard. The Avons have a bit more of a tread pattern. I put them on to help on gravel roads. The results were hmmm well they a bit better. Not much. Still I will wear them out before I throw the Dunlops back on.

Mounted the 150/60-17 on the back and the 120/70-17 on the front, I don't recall the exact price but not cheap.

Teddy

05 DRZ400SM :banghead:

I just put a set of Continental Contiforce SM's on my S. I love them. I don't race, but for commuting and canyons and just having fun they are awesome! Cheap too.

Chad

I just mounted a set of pilot powers on my sm. 120/65/17 front, 150/60/17 rear. The rear is almost the same width as the stock Dunlop. No clearance problem. It's also about 1/8" shorter. The front tire is about 3/8" shorter than stock and turns in much quicker than the Dunlop. I've never measured the pilot road but I would bet either 150/60 or 150/70 will work.

Putting a tube in a tubeless tire is fine. I've never heard of any problems doing it.

Having had a supermoto'd DRZ for over 20,000 miles, i went through a lot of tyres.

It's basically 150's only.

virtually everything just about catches the chain as it slaps, especially BT-090's, which come up really wide.

Metzeler Rennsports come up nice and narrow, as do 165 wide goldspeed streetsports.

I used to use michelin hi-sports because they actually gave good mileage, weren't too wide, and were nice and cheap. Not super sticky, but great for road work.

One solution is to have the rear wheel offset towards the caliper by 5-10mm to gain the extra clearance. Contrary to what everyone will say, this doesn't affect handling, most of the guys i know have done it, and most of them race like it too.

Remember that if you want stickies for fast stuff, and the occasional trackday, you'll want an H rated tyre because of the smaller bike.

As far as the tubeless portion of you question goes, the dunlops ARE "tubeless tires" and they have a tube in them. :banghead:

I know🤣 and as lstepnio said it is marked tubeless on the sidewall. I asked the bike shop about that and they just looked with that "You ain't from around here er ya boy?" look. :banghead: I went ahead and ordered the Pilot Road 150/70/17 from another shop. I will reply back with a review.

Thanks to all for the input.

I can reply with a review of Michelin Pilot Roads. POS, no grip, especially if wet. Do not go to even near any racetrack with these. This experience was with a 600cc Yamaha streetbike but nevertheless it convinced me never to buy any touring type tires again.