Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft oil leak (please help)

I was dusting off the wifes bike since the riding season (I hate riding in the summer) has arrived. I ran it up and down the street to warm it up for an oil change. I noticed that it was leaking oil from the rear chain buffer. i then noticed that the entire chain was soaked with oil. I traced the oil up to the countershaft sprocket which was also soaked with oil. It seemed like a no brainer. The countershaft sprocket seal must have failed. There is no oil anywhere else. The drain plug is not leaking. I even checked the rear shock to see if it was leaking oil down onto the chain. So I got a new countershaft seal ($1.40) and replaced it. It was pretty easy to do. Did a quick test ride afterwards and you wouldn't believe it. The chain is soaked again and dripping oil from the rear chain buffer &%$#@! :banghead:. Any ideas????? Also the shifter seal is also not leaking.

If the countershaft is grooved or damaged where the seal contacts it, then a new seal will leak too. Remove the seal, and inspect the countershaft and also the area where the seal fits into the case. Make sure both places are clean and undamaged before you put a new seal in it.