Sign in to follow this  

Powder coating stock wheels and hubs?

My separated shoulder is not healing as fast as I thought so I'm thinking about getting my stock rims and hubs powder coated black. I'm not sure but are the black excel wheels not powder coated too? Anyone see any problem with doing this?

Also I may get them to powder coat the frame black being I'm going to switch over to the Hurricane colors soon. Anyone have tips on how to keep the oil tank free of sand? What about a way to flush the frame once I get it back. This may be simple but I would like to see what you guys did.

Thanks

Mike

i would use anodizing, unless your set on powder coat. its much harder.

if you want your hubs to be black as well they should be powder coated becuase of there rough out layer, though some poeple say it will greatly be weakened.

i was going to get some parts done black, but if you get Pro Wheel rims you can use stock spokes. so to get 2 rims is $150, instead of anodizing for $100 you can pay a extra $50 and have 2 extra rims.

just my 2 cents

I was not sure if the Excel rims where anodized or powder coated. On the hubs being powder coated, I'm not sure how they would be become weaker being I don't think there baked at all that high of a temp. I could be wrong but it does not see they would become weaker. I'm looking into Anodizing now and it seems to be a very simple process. If I can locate the supplies needed and some plastic tanks big enough I may just have some fun and anodize my own stuff. I may go nuts and anodize everything. LOL JK.

I forgot to add that I was asking about powdercoating because I can get it done cheap if done in black. For wheels and hubs It would be less than $50 I'm sure.

Mike

The only color thats hard to get to come out right is Black. :-( In order to get a nice dark black I will have to get ahold of the real Anodize black die when most all other colors can be died with cloth die. Im going to research this more and give it a shot.

Mike

http://www.rtrwheellacing.com/

that place is pretty cool..for 300$ u can get ur wheels anodized any color and ur hubs any color, they will polish ur wheels/spokes, fix any problems and re-tru them...they advertise it as 369$ but i was quoted 300 when i emailed them cuz he said hed hook me up so i wouldnt loose money on shipping...they also have cheaper packages

Thats not bad.There not far down the road from me. I will need new spokes being my bike is missing a front spoke and some of the rear spokes are spinnning. What kind of spokes would I need to get? I guess the HD spoke kits would not work.

I may still play around with the anodizing myself even if I dont do my wheels. I love projects like this so if the supplies are not hard to come by I will try it out.

Mike

Looking over that site you posted it does say that powdercoating does weaken the hubs. I guess I should forget that then. I dont want to weaken any parts on my bike.

Mike

Looking over that site you posted it does say that powdercoating does weaken the hubs. I guess I should forget that then. I dont want to weaken any parts on my bike.

Mike

hey there is a 2 pro's that i no of that powdercoat there hubs and they both do supercross as well and FMX and both do 75 footbackflip's so i wouldnt be conserned that they would be weak from it coz they have never had problems with there hubs

hey there is a 2 pro's that i no of that powdercoat there hubs and they both do supercross as well and FMX and both do 75 footbackflip's so i wouldnt be conserned that they would be weak from it coz they have never had problems with there hubs

ya and how often do they get new rims..im sure alot more than us private guys

I have seen powdercoated hubs before but my luck if i did have them coated I would have a hub to fail. LOL

Mike