Sign in to follow this  

Another Pinger Question--trailizing my cr250

I purchased a cr250 this summer to ride on the mx track and decided that I don't really want to ride the tracks anymore. However, I've been riding the 250 more and more in the woods and I'm really digging it and starting to haul ass on the thing. I want to make it a little more trail worthy and figured I'd throw it out here. I'm a big dude, 230lb, 6'5". So far I'm getting some 2" risers (needed those bad!), cycra bark busters, 9oz flywheel weight and a tall seat. I have a scotts steering dampner on another bike and was thinking about getting a mount for the 250 to switch it back and forth. I suppose a skid plate would be a good thing. Any other reccomendations?

Good call! I forgot about those and I should probably get one considering I dented my header last weekend.

spare header pipe, chuck it in the back seat of the truck, because even with a guard 2-stroke pipes get ****ed trail riding!! i went through 2 in in one day!!

Rad gaurds are always good to put on. When I had my KX100 I put on the oversized tank for long rides. I didn't have to worry about having to cut a ride short and get back to staging for gas.

As far as performance...you can always go with a differernt pipe, like the gnarly for more low end, or PC-2. I put a fatty on when I had my KX and felt an improvement across the board with power. It made the hill climbs much easier. I have the PC on my KTM, but I never felt the power with the stocker cause I bought it used. I hear the V-force makes an excellent performance upgrade as well.

I think between your initial list and the suggestions from others, you're pretty well covered. Another thing to consider is suspension work or at least do some playing around with the clickers for sure. The MX valving will be a little harsh for trail work on the initial travel, but the springs should be close. You can probably work out the settings to get you a pretty decent ride in the woods, but write down what you like for the track so you can switch back and forth depending on where you're going to ride.

Very first things I'd add are a skid plate, pipe guard, radiator guards, Spark Arrestor and hand guards. I bought the Cycra's the last time for my 300 EXC and I think they suck. If I did it again, I'd go with the Enduro Engineering units. Cheaper and they hold up much better.

Next in line would be a FMF Gnarly pipe and possibly a 120 rear tire for a little more meat in the rear. The 19" rim gets a little rough in the rocky sections. You may have to gear down a little if you do this.

The flywheel weight is nice but with the pipe, I'm not sure you'll need it. The other option is to look at an auto clutch like a Rekluse. It makes riding in the nasty stuff a totally different ball game.

I ride a 250sx in the woods and all I added was a flywheel weight and hand guards, also had the suspension rebuilt because it needed it and softened it up a bit but kept it firm enough to still ride the tracks. 2 strokes are great for the trails... couldn't imagine having to pick up a big 450 on some of the nasty hills i've been on. All the other guards would be a bonus as well.

Both my buddy and I have CR 250s that we trail ride and race GNCC style races. His is stock, I bought mine already set up for the riding I do. The most noticeable difference between the two besides the bike protection that already has been mentioned, is the 10oz flywheel and the suspension. I can lug my bike around like a fourstroke and don't stall half as much as when I ride his bike. If you can afford to get the suspension done that would be on the top of my list also, it's night and day. Last but not least, throw on some S12s front and back. Oh yeah, I don't know how long you ride for but an oversized tank is very nice for rides over 2-3 hours.