Sign in to follow this  

Kouba links #2

Has any body here experienced the lowering quality of the #2 links? I can't afford a Corbin seat yet, so the cheaper alt.(besides lowering the rear spring) is to get the #2 links. Any body got some info?

I have very little person experience riding a bike with them, just a couple of short rides, but I do have a lot of experience with watching the suspension with them work,,,,or rather not work. They change the leverage ratio which makes the spring behave like it is softer, that in itself would not be a bad thing but I have a theory that it is not a linear change. This throws off the valving a lot, whether it is stock or race tech or whoever's. No one seems to have enough experience with it to give a good starting point on the valving and what works with the stock links does not work with the links.

I would personally say that if you have to have them then get them but if you can get away without them then it is far better to lower your seat either with a gel seat or a stock one cut down.

FWIW, we never did get bronco's to behave like he wanted it to.

Yeah, I think I want to keep the 400 like it is. I've done the yoshi, DJ, airbox mods and I like it the way it is. Only problem is on a technical trail, if I have to come off the pegs, I can get in trouble. My inseam is just barely 32" and I'm almost on my tip toes standing. I'd sure like to get the seat height down to a more saftely, comfortable level. Or at least get more of my feel on the ground.

I have the #2 link on my S and I like it. I think the bike handles better with it.

But I am not an aggressive rider at all. Before I put the link on my bike my riding buddy and I traded bikes back and forth a few times and we both thought his with the link handled better and he is a much more aggressive than I am. Both bikes were 400s both with M21 tires so I think it was an apples to apples test.

Nice dobie there! Mine is named Julius he's about a year and a half. Thanks for the info on the links, I'm still debating. I found a set for about 30 bucks, used. I might go for it.

They are easy to take on and off so try them and if you don't like them then take them off.

10guy is right its really easy to do and for 30 bucks you can't go wrong. I used some spacers to raise the ignition switch so I could slide the forks up higher to also lower the front. I think you need to do both to make the bike handle right.

Roscoe just turned 5. I have always had dobies. In fact Roscoe is insisting I take him for a walk right now!

Careful when you raise the forks, and yes you should raise them, that you don't go too far and allow the tire to contact the bottom side of the fender.

I have a 32 inseam and used them along with bar risers to raise the forks also. I recently have been doing more technical off road so the link made the spring rate way too soft for my 240+ lbs even with the preload maxed out so I look them out instead of getting a stiffer spring. They are easy and quick to put in and take out. I may be interested in getting rid of them, pm me if interested.

Terry

I used a set of Talon links, the same as Kouba 1's.

They screwed the rear suspension, to the point that I could not get less than 4 1/2 inch's of race sag, and the damping was almost non existent.

I used them for a couple of months and I also pushed the forks up through the yokes 5/8 inch + removed 1 1/2 to 2 inches of foam from the stock seat. As i only have a 27 1/2 inseam this was just to get 1 toe down (each side). I removed the links a while back now and the suspension is transformed. But now I can't touch the ground, except by sliding off the seat a bit, and then I can just tip toe.

This morning, stopping in the fishing club car park, I put my foot on the ground, and it wasn't there🤣🤣 No damage (it's all mud) just dented pride, the upside was everybody else had a good laugh.🤣:busted::busted:

Neil. :banghead::banghead::busted: